The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#8956 - 09/12/02 05:05 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Iron,<br><br>Check out Greco Knives . He has some nice knives at good prices ($50 US). I am ordering an older version of his MST (4.75" blade) from BladeArt.com Clearance Items. These are all carbon steel, with a coating.<br><br>Also look at the Becker line. These are solid with good prices. I really like my C/U 7, even though I prefer a shorter blade for most outdoor tasks.<br><br>If you are maritime, I agree with Chris on the Grohmann knives. I have their Boat version in stainless and like it. I particularily like their new flat ground "Camper" versions of their original saber ground knives.<br><br>If you want to spend some real money look at Rick Frigault Knives . He is an Ontario maker with some good designs. I have his Big Game Set on order.

#8957 - 09/14/02 06:12 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I carried a Spyderco Rescue on duty for approx. 15 years, and used it to cut more seat belts than I can remember to extricate injured parties. The one hand opening was very handy, and the combo of sheepsfoot and serrations made quick but safe work on the belts. I like 'em...but for everyday work I prefer a straight edged blade...

#8958 - 09/14/02 01:25 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose that I should have mentioned that I also carry a plain edge blade for EDC, along with my Spyderco Blue Rescue. <br><br> I've always been one that likes to be prepared for just about anything and I've found that carrying two blades--one plain, one serrated, can pretty much take care of any cutting chore that may arise. <br><br>I appreciate all of the replies, thanks.

#8959 - 09/15/02 04:18 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lethermans tend to cut into the hand when you apply real torque. I hate the B--t--ds which is why I choose the Scout by Gerber.<br><br>If you want a big knife get the Ka-bar Marine.<br><br>Mariner.

#8960 - 09/16/02 03:28 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
I was in the automotive section of my local Walmart and saw an interesting tool along those lines. It was a hammer meant for breaking a vehicle's window. The handle had a flashlight that comes on when the tool is removed from its mounting bracket and a rescue hook type blade for cutting seatbelts. I don't remember the manufacturer but the price was only $5.97 so I was a little leery of its quality.<br><br>I spent a few minutes upside down in my pickup after an unsuccessful battle with a patch of ice several years ago. I was unable to both hold myself up and unbuckle my seatbelt until a local doctor on his way back from an emergency call happened on the scene and helped out. I wasn't injured but, thinking back, if I had ended up on the other side of the highway I'd have been in the river and such a tool might have been necessary. Maybe I'll go by Walmart tomorrow....$6 isn't that much after all...

#8961 - 10/23/03 05:49 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry the Benchmade 5 rescue hook as it doesn't look like a knife and you can carry it in your wallet.

There're some issues over here about carrying a personal knife which is a no go area for the Police.

Benchmade 5 Rescue Hook

#8962 - 10/24/03 01:09 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Yeah I wrote about it here:
Thread link
it is a great tool. Now I'm trying to find somebody who acctually owns a Spyderco Assist knife to post his observations.

Matt

#8963 - 10/24/03 02:35 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Quote:
I've discovered that for most EDC utility purposes, a Victorinox MiniChamp II covers most of my needs, plus most people don't seem to get too bothered by its size.

Me too. I find myself carrying my Midnite MiniChamp II all the time now. If I need to deploy a blade outside my own home or in front of possible PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER., that's what I pull out. I use my beloved Victorinox SwissTool R/S when I feel the need for a bigger blade, which isn't often.

#8964 - 10/25/03 01:35 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I carry a leatherman wave on my person all the time (serrated AND smooth blade in there) but I also keep a rescue knife in each vehicle.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 509 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.