Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88905 - 03/20/07 05:32 PM Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"?
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
It's a pretty good story about an EMP pulse knocking out the power and how a neighborhood responds. It had a lot of good tips but at the same time it made me think even as close-knit as my neighborhood is we'd be screwed if anything big ever did happen. frown

Free download here.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#88906 - 03/20/07 05:33 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I've read it, and it was a decent read, especially for free. Very similar to Patriots by James Wesley Rawles.

#88916 - 03/20/07 06:58 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: el_diabl0]
FRERAD1776 Offline

Yes. I enjoyed it.

Malevil is a similar plot which takes place in France.

#88937 - 03/20/07 09:05 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I read a lot of it before it was finished then I lost the site. Thanks for posting it, I'd like to finish it. Its also a bit reminiscent of "Alas! Babylon" which takes place in the fifties.

#88940 - 03/20/07 09:10 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I read the beginning on the Frugal Squirrel web site.
Maybe I'll be able to read the end, now.
Thanks for the link.

edited :
this link send you to Frugalsquirrel pages, where there are other free ebooks. But not complete books.
Does anyone know where to find the last chapters of Decline and fall of Pax Americana ?

TIA

Edited by frenchy (03/20/07 10:05 PM)

#89023 - 03/21/07 04:34 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: frenchy]
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Frenchy,

How have you been? I tried to drop you a PM, but I was told that you were over your limit.

Garrett

#89199 - 03/23/07 03:00 AM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Thanks for the link and recommendation. Just finished it. I thought it was well written. As I read, I felt it was very much in synch with scenarios I could envision (fear).

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#89268 - 03/23/07 07:56 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Thank you very mush for sharing that e-book. I’m not even one to enjoy novels, but this story had me hooked from the get-go. It was very well written and very entertaining. Thanks again.

#90084 - 04/01/07 02:37 AM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have finished the book now and I have something to say about it.

I found the scenario to be feasible and the portrayal of various human behaviors to be accurate. It's impossible to imagine the low levels that two-legged animals can achieve in their treatment of one another when the ship is sinking.

I have found that the book: "Aftermath" by Levarr Burton to be equally as disturbing as "Lights Out". Also try to find the book: "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing.

#90177 - 04/02/07 01:55 AM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: wildman800]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Wildman,

I've been looking for a copy of "Pulling Through" for almost ten years. Even used copies on ebay go for a pretty penny. frown

How good would you rate the information in it?

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#90237 - 04/02/07 08:45 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Blast,

Thanks for posting this link. I've read it several times during the past two weeks and still learn something new each time.

It's a gripping story - I can't believe how plausible the scenarios seem to be with characters that I really cared about (go Karate Man!). There were a few surprises (such as a lack of pets - no one has any dogs in the neighborhood; how sad) and quite a few realistic villians - How many of us know a "Barney" or a "the boss - Mr. Davis"?

I first wished that I lived in a community like Silver Hills; then I realized that the responsiblity is mine to help create an atmosphere of self-reliance and neighborly support in my existing area.

Again thanks!

#90245 - 04/02/07 10:01 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: BrianTexas]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I first wished that I lived in a community like Silver Hills; then I realized that the responsiblity is mine to help create an atmosphere of self-reliance and neighborly support in my existing area.

There's a lot of truth in that statement and I've been quietly working on this in my neighborhood for a long time (eight years!).

However, "Lights Out" made me realise my neighborhood is undenfendable from any attacker. It has too many entry points, to many hiding spots, and no wells (though swimming pools might be a source of water). Our houses are very close together allowing fire to pass quickly from one to the next. The houses themselves would offer no protection from rifle bullets. The list goes on and on. It has me somewhat depressed. All we really have is a great bunch of people, but they aren't bulletproof. frown

We had our first test two years ago when Hurricane Rita was expected to hit. The way everyone responded was like a dream. Teams of people went house to house to help board up windows and empty the yards of possible flying debris, people with 1st aid training ID'd themselves to others, walkie-talkies were passed out to each house if someone needed help, everyone's bathtubs were filled with water, copies of water treatment/hurricane prep/1st aid stuff were passed out to everyone, and those with generators set up sharing schedules with other neighbors. We were ready for the worst, which of course meant nothing happened.

I love our neighborhood but the first group of MZB's will pick us like ripe apples.

-Blast

#90283 - 04/03/07 04:50 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I rate it very highly. It was very easy reading!

The 1st section is the story and it incorporates what needs to be learned/done in the story line.

The 2nd section has the reference information that the story teaches, plus the instructions/templates for the Kearney Fallout Meter (KFM).

The story line also gives some excellent examples of the different types of human behavior that will be exhibited under such stressful coditions.

#90289 - 04/03/07 05:36 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Blast,

I came to the same conclusion about my neighborhood vs. the MZBs. We have too many entrances, we're too close to Dallas, we all have small lots (too small for useful gardens), we don't have wells and were too far from one of the area lakes (fish and water supplies).

That was one of the disappointing things about the novel. The characters live in the perfect spot for self-defense being surrounded by farmland. Additionally, they have exactly the contacts (i.e., gun shop owners, hardware store owners) they need to have at key points in the novel. Perhaps I'm just jealous of the characters.

#90293 - 04/03/07 06:15 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I disagree Blast!! Think about the basic tactics lessons that was in "Lights Out". I live in the same situation that you do. The real problem isn't defense. The two real (insurmountable) problems are: FOOD and FEMA!

On defense: map out the neighborhood and and look at your access points and other weak areas. Build a defensive team (1st string/35 & older years) that patrols those areas/points. Build 2 reaction teams (2nd string/18-34 year olds) that responds where the initial attack is coming from and a reserve to counter a flanking attack, build a last ditch team (3rd string/women & all of the 15-17 year olds) to protect each homestead and provide bodies for OP's & LP's.

Water can be used from the swimming pools to flush the toilets & provide drinking water. Rain water can be corraled back into the swimming pools and/or buckets/barrels.

VERY LITTLE FOOD can be cultivated on the average subdivision lot. That is the problem!

Energy availability will be another issue. Gas, Diesel, firewood, etc.

As mentioned in "Lights Out", the presidents have signed various executive orders & PPD's that allow, in time of emergencies, for all civilian resources to be confiscated (to be doled out to people in shelters) *(More than 3 days groceries and supplies in a household constitutes "Hoarding")* and 10 concentration camps (I mean "evacuation/detention camps) have already been constructed around the country, during the last 10 years (mostly in National Guard Camps) (the govt claims that they are for teaching the military how to survive in POW camps although no one has ever trained in them), and a $350 million contract was awarded about 8 months ago to build 10 more camps. 1 of those camps are to be built outside of Natchez, Ms (the locals are fighting it). FEMA "Crisis Relocation Plan" is just as the description in "Lights Out". If you remember some comments I made a few months ago about the New York City "Crisis Relocation Plan" that came into being in the late 70's and what a complete farce it was and is.

My solution to the problem is to first organize the neighborhood and dig in. Sometime along that line, if serious trouble erupts in town and I feel that Martial Law is about to be enforced, I will advise my neighbors to prepare and plan for Bugging Out. My first stop is just to the west of my present location in order to regroup and reassess. Then the next move is to get to Northwest-Central Arkansas where I have some supplies cached and people who have need for my skills, Library of knowledge, and those resources that we bring with us (includes walking, talking, thinking, bodies). I have put several realistic contingency plans together and I periodically review them (just completed a review of all contingency plans, wrote a few more to cover other aspects of those situations).

You might consider making some acquaintences around Lake Livingston and/or Sam Rayburn Reservoir. Those are far enough away from the cities, withing a reasonable transit time, and there are defensive areas there as well as cultivatable land.

#90305 - 04/03/07 08:19 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: BrianTexas]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
My stepdad a few years ago brought up to me his plan of outfitting the neighborhood as a mini community. The focus of the book made me reevaluate his position and compare it against my sister's location (which is ideally placed with it's own well, small close-nit group in the middle of PA farmland).

He didn't quite bite so I printed out satellite photos and drew up a diagram to prove my point smile

He admitted he hadn't even taken into account that they might shut off city water. Just goes to show even the die-hard preparedness nuts can miss a simple detail like water.

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#90323 - 04/04/07 03:46 AM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: wildman800]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The two real (insurmountable) problems are: FOOD and FEMA!

I kind of agree with you on FEMA, but as far as food goes, I think our neighborhoods is quite well prepared for several reasons.

1. A river runs through it. Okay, actually along one side, but I liked that phrase. Along this river on either side is thick pine woods filled with feral hogs, deer, raccoons, possums, beavers, armadillos, squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs. The river has bass, sunfish, catfish, crawfish, alligator gars, turtles, clams, cranes, herons, ducks and assorted other fish/fowl. The woods are filled with all sorts of edible plants just about year-round. Blackberry and dewberry picking starts next week!

2. One of my hobbies is gardening and I've helped a lot of neighbors design their landscaping. Once everything is planted I casually mention how all the plants I had them put in are actually edible (hibiscus, daylillies, canna lillies, elderberry trees, loquats, sago palms, etc..). I have a post on my blog about this particular subject.

3. There are tons of Sago Palms in the neighborhood (see #2). Each one is LOADED with starch, enough to last many, many months.

4. It's Houston. We have lots of bugs all year long... crazy

5. There are many open lots available for planting, including a 100-foot wide buried pipeline easement and a 150-foot wide powerline easement. Both strips get plenty of sun and the power and pipeline companies have kept them well mowed/groomed. We'd have to be careful digging, but that's okay.

6. I know of five families (including us) on just my block who have vegitable gardens in their backyards. Crops include zucchini, tomatoes, corn, sunflowers, egg plants, okra, spinach, strawberries, peas, beans, onions, peppers (bell and hot), limes, lemons, bananas, figs, and pecans. I'm sure more than just us five have gardens.

7. Stray cats. Lots and lots of stray, feral cats. mad A few years ago I trapped THIRTEEN of them and took them to the animal shelter. The numbers has sprung back up. mad mad mad

8. Birds. One thing my trips to China have taught me is that if it has wings it's food! A simple but effective bird trap can be found here. It may take a lot of grackels/robins/sparrows/magpies to make a meal, but at least around here there are lots to begin with.

True, it'd still be a lot of work and attitude changes but I think our neighborhood could feed itself. Harvesting plants/animals from the woods would be dangerous at first as many other would probably set up squatters camps there. I suspect the mosquitoes, heat and occasional flooding would drive them out pretty quickly though...

Food is around, you just have to look and be open-minded (sometimes very open-minded).

-Blast

#90340 - 04/04/07 11:24 AM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
_Pulling Through_ is awesome. I read it hard copy years ago, and then bought an electronic version from Baen last year.

#90344 - 04/04/07 01:01 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

At least my comments have gotten you to reassess your present location.

The river that you spoke of is also a natural defensive barrier. That is one entire "front" that assists you in the defense of your neighborhood. It will keep you in water and provide food. Damn it up with a spillway and you can make a waterwheel connected to a generator for limited electrical power supply.

One largely overlooked factor in most neighborhoods are all those front yards that get plenty of sunlight and could be turned into another garden space. "The Mother Earth News" ran an interesting article on that subject about 6 months ago. "Mother" is also a very good source of material to have around. I have 30 years of them in my garage library.

In my case, I'd have to trim some trees way back to reduce shaded areas but that will provide firewood as well as more productive ground.

Sometimes you have to "step outside of yourself" and look at the landscape from another POV in order to fully assess all the pros and cons of your own situation. Tunnel vision is easy to acquire and can lead to disastrous decision making.

As I said before, My plans would be implemented in stages as the need arises. Necessity is the mother of invention! There is no substitute to having good Intel. Planning for the gathering, evaluation, and use of reliable Intelligence information is crucial to making correct decisions at the appropriate times. Advance planning is where the value of having a diverse group becomes very apparent. The more diverse the group, the better chance of covering all of the bases in all of the subjects that you will be required to think and plan for.

#90351 - 04/04/07 02:13 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Between this discussion and the current state of world affairs, I have started thinking in terms of time and implementation of contingency plans.

I would definitely go into "post-hurricane" mode if the lights went out for unknown reasons. That would include the immediate investigation of any EMP effects. Trying to crank the cars, the electronically constructed radio's, my cell phone function, etc.

If I find that EMP has occurred or that there is a high probability that it has occurred, I would then go to post-nuclear (fallout preps) mode.

Then we would have other things to consider.

#90415 - 04/04/07 09:56 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I read it and really liked it and it reminded me of one of my favorite books is Alas Babylon that AROTC mentioned.
I believe that both authors while writing good stories are looking at the overall picture thru rose-colored glasses. I don't think it would be so long before FEMA got involved and marshal law would be almost immediate. They also had the grocery stores running (at lowered a capacity). The way the real world works in larger cities they would be closed and ransacked within days of the announcement of the EMP. Some communities will pull together and mount decent defenses but even subdivisions around a major population center were able to mount defenses they would be quickly overrun by shear numbers of people demanding food and shelter. I say demanding because large urban centers have to many people that are dependent on others to care for them. Also there will be to many who will see it as an opportunity to rape, pillage, plunder, and rape. Cohesive groups won’t really form until it sinks into the heads of people that thing won’t return to normal tomorrow.
I have seen how people react in stressful situations. Most of the good people will wait to act in a way that may be against the normal laws and morals of our society till they are forced to act. While they wait and watch the ones that don’t care will react to take advantage of the situation.

#90419 - 04/04/07 11:00 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: raydarkhorse]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

History is the proof of what you say, with VERY few exceptions.

#91074 - 04/13/07 09:19 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: wildman800]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
Originally Posted By: wildman800
One largely overlooked factor in most neighborhoods are all those front yards that get plenty of sunlight and could be turned into another garden space.

If you aren't very good about spraying weed killer on your lawn (like me) then you will find out very quickly that Mother Nature will fill your yard with wild edibles. grin Chickweed & dandelions account for about a 1/3 of my front lawn. I've noticed in the city here the poor neighborhoods yards are almost all full of those two as well as wild onions, wood sorrel, etc.

Edited by Micah513 (04/13/07 09:19 PM)

#200925 - 04/24/10 09:47 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: Blast]
helenrt Offline
Stranger

Loc: Louisiana
Has anyone found the final chapters of "the decline and Fall Of Pax Americana"? I have up to chapter 60 but I can't find the rest.

#201016 - 04/26/10 07:39 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: helenrt]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've read both Lights Out and Patriots, as well as other fictional works in this gendre. I find them an interesting read, but limited in scope. Sticking with the two books named herein, the authors explore a couple different "plausible" scenarios, with somewhat variable results. Overall, my conclusion is that both of these books, as well as most of the other stories in the gendre, fall far short of painting what would be the most likeliest of outcomes. Rather, they occupy a narrow slice of possibilities resulting from a very limited course of events.

After many discussions and analyses, I would expect a far different likelihood to occur. One of three most likely events will occur should our social structure as it stands today collapse. Either we face an abrupt end of the world scenario, such as global catastrophy like 2012 or some such, or a more gradual end of the world scenario, such as in the book "The Road", or general social collapse and post anarchic social engineering, such as Orwell's "1984" or Lucas' "THX-1138". I realize this sounds defeatist, but consider our current social model to be a line of dominoes, and realize how hard it is to stop a line of dominoes from toppling over in succession once the first few have gone. Either things get unrecoverably bad very quickly, or things get unrecoverably bad but it takes time for the stockpiles to run out, or things get very bad, and the only thing to keep it from going too far is extreme social control.

If you consider the outcomes in both stories, you realize very quickly that the authors chose to severely limit the unilateral response from those in power and able to exert control over the gen pop, at least as long as supplies hold out. They painted the executive role as poorly equipped and generally incompetent. While I would entertain the notion that the government may not have the same set of response priorities the common man would prefer, I would advice against anyone considering that they would restrict their response to any threat in some limited role. Their usual pattern of force reminds me more of using a sledgehammer to drive a brad. Letting a region fend for itself and stand on it's own volition seems rather unrealistic, considering that the biggest hoarder of resources in times of crisis are the feds themselves. I would expect more of a "no stone left unturned" type of policy.

Anyone who thinks that the government wouldn't take advantage of the opportunity to overwhelmingly respond to any threat, real or imagined, and to seize as much power as possible needs some remedial study in world history. As with 9-11, the fed response to the threat was to begin shutting down infrastructure and mobilizing for crowd/migration control.

#201025 - 04/26/10 09:43 PM Re: Anyone read the free ebook "Lights Out"? [Re: benjammin]
LED Offline
Veteran

They also seem to miss the role of modern technology. Drones with less-than-lethal weapons, as mentioned in this wired article, are on the way. A couple of drones could easily disperse a crowd of wrongdoers. How does the saying go? A surveilled society is a polite society? Something like that. wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.