Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#8861 - 09/06/02 10:30 AM Re: I Hate To Do This But...
Anonymous
Unregistered

To each their own- my experience was that they were surprisingly fragile in real use, except for the military issue versions.<br><br>Have you considered Sigg aluminum bottles? The anodized versions are intended to resist "beverages", and they at least don't have soldered seams to fail.

#8862 - 09/06/02 08:27 PM Re: I Hate To Do This But...
Anonymous
Unregistered

"but, as mentioned, the problem is that it's not terribly useful once frozen, so there's not much point in letting it happen. "<br><br>Why not? I may have missed something, but if I was dying of thirst sitting next to the fire I had started with contents from my psk, I could think of a use for a block of ice--if I studied on it for awhile...

#8863 - 09/07/02 12:06 AM Re: I Hate To Do This But...
Anonymous
Unregistered

My wife has been putting frozen plastic water bottles in my lunch box for years with no problems of leaking. <br><br> If one were to use some of those disposable hand warmer packets wrapped togeather with the frozen water bottle possably in a towel or water parka, it may melt the ice so the water is available to drink. <br><br> The type of hand warmer listed in Campmor claims average temperature of 135 deg. F. for up to 7 hours. Just a thought.<br><br>Neal

#8864 - 09/07/02 03:58 PM Re: I Hate To Do This But...
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's a good thought- I do keep some of those "Grabber/Mycoal" things in the vehicle anyway, for winter emergencies- it might take awhile, but it seems like you could use one to get useful water from a frozen bottle. Those readers who aren't familiar with them should know that we're not talking about the kind of handwarmer that's made of metal and burns fuel, but the kind that's essentially a gauze pad and gets its' warmth from the chemical oxidation of some pretty common, innocuous ingredients.<br><br>I have some of the old backpacker's Austrian poly bottles that I would trust to freeze, and Nalgene bottles are probably strong enough. Normally, I'd say that the typical water bottle (Evian or whatever) is plenty strong enough- they're amazingly durable- but I had one (admittedly, out of thousands) leak on me as soon as I pulled it from the shrink-wrapped six-pack, and it shook my faith somewhat.<br><br>Mabe put the plastic bottles in plastic bags for the winter, just as a failsafe... in any case, it's a good thought. Might be worth some testing. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Safety pin
by Ren
07/24/24 10:53 AM
bacpacjac
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 09:56 PM
When you get lost hiking in WA, how much does it c
by Doug_Ritter
07/18/24 08:31 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 04:11 PM
Yikes...
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 04:04 PM
Idiot and Ill-Prepared
by Doug_Ritter
07/17/24 03:17 PM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Ren
07/09/24 01:13 PM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.