Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8825 - 09/02/02 02:26 PM Putting preps to use/Weather Alert
Anonymous
Unregistered

The first storm to threaten the coast, Tropical Storm Edouard, has had a warning issued for the southeastern seaboard, extending from Savannah south to mid Florida. As of 9am, he was 100mi ENE of St. Augustine, FL, angling slowly to the NW.<br><br>It seems I just might get to test my preps and plans sooner than I thought. I am glad for all the advice I've gotten in the last couple days. Thanx everyone.

#8826 - 09/03/02 03:24 AM Re: Putting preps to use/Weather Alert
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Good luck!<br>I guess you'll find out how well prepared you really are!<br><br><br>

#8827 - 09/03/02 12:18 PM Re: Putting preps to use/Weather Alert
Saunterer Offline

Loc: Kansas City area
Having lived through numerous hurricanes when living in North Carolina, here is one tip if you are going to stick around your residence. Be sure to fill up your bath tubs with water. I spent 6 days without electricity and water during hurricane Bertha and 11 days during Fran back in 1996. I was well prepared, but for general use, use the bath tub water, and save your drinking water for the obvious. Plus if you have to flush a toilet, you'll have some water to refill the tank.

#8828 - 09/03/02 01:28 PM Re: Putting preps to use/Weather Alert
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's very good advice, particularly if you are on well water. Your washing machine can also be easily filled with a whole lot of water and your water heater contents can be accessed if necessary (be sure to turn it off first and leave it off until it is completely refilled).

#8829 - 09/03/02 07:02 PM Re: Putting preps to use/Weather Alert
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the warning was downgraded to a watch last night, then cancelled. Made for a good drill though. I think that we're ready here. I'll keep y'all posted.

#8830 - 09/04/02 02:51 PM Bathtub water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

A couple of thoughts on the bathtub water storage.<br><br>Duct tape over the drain to seal any "leaky" drain, also to save you from an accidental activation of the drain lever. You could also tape over the overflow opening to give yourself the maximum water storage possible.<br><br>Tape a plastic cover over the top of the bathtub to slow evaporation loss, also it keeps "oops" spills from contaminating the water. <br><br>If you have a ground floor or very solid upper floor consider the use of "kiddie" pools, the vacum formed or the inflatable type. Iflateable ones are compact for storage prior to use.<br><br>Also don't forget the water bed mattress if you have one. Might want to save it for toilet use because of the stabilizers/alge (sp) preventers.<br><br>Enjoy life<br>Mike Mc

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 355 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.