Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8764 - 08/29/02 07:19 PM Waterproofing PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a newbie member, I wanted to start by saying thank you to the ETS staff for this incredible site and to all the members for all their posts. I've been looking over this site for several months now and have learned a lot. I've been interested in survival preparedness pretty for many years, but I'm just now starting to work on putting together some kits. <br><br>I've noticed that many people are sealing their Altoids PSK's with electrical tape to seal them. What about wrapping the cord around it then using a vacuum sealer to waterproof the entire package? This, of course, would only work on kits that are designed for emergency use only vs. a kit that you get into frequently for band-aids, meds, etc.<br><br>I would appreciate any input ya'll have on this.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Brian

#8765 - 08/29/02 08:54 PM Re: Waterproofing PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good idea. I believe there is at least one person who posted here that they did just that. Most people here don't have a vacuum sealer. The vacuum bags can nick and leak sometimes. Sealing the tin with tape works well enough for those who carry that way, and it's resealable. I use vacuum bags quite bit for my survival equipment.

#8766 - 08/30/02 01:46 AM Re: Waterproofing PSK
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Other ways of waterproofing the contents would be just to use a ziplock bag, put the kit inside and fold the ziplock to the contours of the tin and tape it down.<br>Or if you have a larger kit, put all the contents in the zip lock and just hold the tin together with ranger bands. Its the contents that need to be waterproofed, not the tin.<br><br>Anyway, I did try using a vacuum sealer to seal my tin, but with the everyday carry in my pocket, the pack soon developed tears. I went back to using tape <br><br><br>

#8767 - 08/30/02 11:20 AM Re: Waterproofing PSK
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
You can also use a very wide rubber band. Old bike tubes work the best. Cut about 3/4 of the inch wide and stretch it over the tin sides.<br><br>Matt

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:54 PM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.