Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8703 - 08/28/02 09:30 PM super glue "stitches"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering if anyone could please tell me if super glue is a good alternative to a bandaid or stitches? I have heard it mentioned, but my one concern would be that there could be a reaction to the chemical makeup of the glue. Is it a good addition to a first aid kit? Also, what if one suffered a HUGE wound but could not do proper stitches...Is that when the glue would be good...or a bandage... or both? Thanks in advance.

#8704 - 08/28/02 11:27 PM Re: super glue "stitches"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know a lot of hunters that carry it in case of serious cuts, but I think that using a non-sterile substance on a wound could lead to serious infection. Plus, you would have to pay particular attention to getting the wound as free of foreign matter as you can before sealing it. I forget the name, but there is a surgical grade product that is sterile and designed specifically for closing wounds, but it is almost cost prohibitive. I talked to our MD and he says he rarely gets samples of the product and if he did, he'd probably not give it out because of the complications that can occur.

#8705 - 08/29/02 01:54 AM Re: super glue "stitches"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe it is called "Dermabond" They are single use ampules like the old iodine or mecurichrome (sp) applicators. A glass ampule that is crushed to release the contents and it has a wedge shaped applicator tip, kind of like the 'sharpie' magic markers.<br><br>I see them time to time on eBay but they usualy start at $20 for a 5 pack and go up quickly.<br><br>Enjoy life - it beats the alternative!<br>Mike Mc<br>

#8706 - 08/29/02 01:56 AM Re: super glue "stitches"
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Supergule is a cyanoacrylate, similar to the skin glues that we doctors use to suture up minor wounds. Superglue is non sterile and it would be inadvisable to use it on any wound in the field. <br><br>See the discussion on dermabond (doctors skin adhesive) here Dermabond thread <br><br>and the discussion on why it is better not to use skin glue in the field..... <br><br>

#8707 - 08/29/02 12:17 PM Re: super glue "stitches"
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
You shouldnīt use super glue for any medical purpose (provided youīre not a doctor). For the huge wound you use a pressure bandage to stop the bleeding. Butterfly sutures might be used for closing the wound, they are easy to use and easy to remove if neccessary. <br>Itīs important that the wound must not be closed if itīs contaminated. Otherwise the wound will fester.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:54 PM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.