Quote:
I still say, if a $5 item will just possibly help in your rescue, what does it hurt to take one along???

I guess it's not the $5 item aspect of it that bothers me, a Jet Scream whistle, Star Flash signal mirror or roll of orange surveyors tape all cost about $5 and can make the difference between getting found or not, it's the fact that the government will be making it a crime NOT to carry one that gets my goat.

I think it's a great idea to carry one when climbing and would encourage anyone who asked my opinion to do the same, but to make it the law? Do we really want to go down this road?

I mean sure, Hillary, Barak, Rudy and Mitt are all highly experienced climbers and outdoor survival experts, but after seeing the great progress they've all made on securing our borders, fixing public education, bringing down health care costs, etc., etc., I'm not so sure I want them or their local variety getting involved in this arena at all.

Again, you're right, it's cheap insurance but let's us who do this stuff and are passionate about it, police our own so big brother can handle the more "impotent" issues.