"...who will protect us from ourselves if not our beloved and trusted government..."

I am not one to propose a new law for everything in the world, I see that far too often. And I am a big believer in being independent, and responsible for your own actions. But in most cases, when "we" get in trouble, be it a traffic accident, plane crash, sinking boat, or injured mountain climber, who do we call to come save our bacon? Why the government of course, in the form of city, county, state, or federal governmental agencies. And we, the taxpayers, all of us, foot the bill for that. So why not, in instances that have more inherent risks than driving to the corner grocery store, require an inexpensive, light weight, readily available, item that MIGHT cut down on the time, cost, and risk of a rescue? Yosemite and Wrangell St. Elias NP's, for example, now required a bear proof food container (not a bag and a rope) for all back country overnight hikes. Why? Too many backpackers just about starving to death after one of those really smart Yosemite bears got their stash and ate it, miles and miles from the nearest stop and rob. Don't own one, no problem, they can be obtained free, with a deposit, from the NPS. No one seems to yell too loudly about that one...