Better is relative. I am not a steel expert but have owned many different knives of varying steel.
S30V is super tough and holds an edge real well; it is also more difficult to sharpen than some other steels. To perform anything other than touch ups you will need a diamond stone.
154CM is very good steel IMO and easier to sharpen than S30V.
one thing I don't like is that S30V (at least on my Mini Ritter Grip) is that the spine of the blade will not make a good spark on a firesteel. Maybe it is the polish and not the steel; I don't know. But other S30V knives I have are the same on this.

There has been a lot of attention given to excotic steels these days and some really reliable steel like 440C and AUS8 are getting overlooked.
In my experience both of these "lower quality" steels are some of the easiest to keep sharp. In fact I used an inexpensive KA-Bar Dozier folder in AUS8 recently for a lot of tough work (opening and cutting down cardboard boxes, cutting binding straps) and the blade stayed real sharp throughout and then went right back to hair popping sharp with a few passes over the white rods on a sharpmaker.
That said I just had my Mini Ritter resharpened by a local "shaver and cultlery" shop and now it is as sharp as when Benchmade finished it; maybe even sharper. The reground the edge so it looks brand new.

All in all any decent knife available these days (and some real inexpensive deals) will come with quality steel. Perhaps too much is being amde of some of the newer excotic steels.