Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8549 - 08/22/02 04:16 PM razor knife blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am wondering why do i need to include a razor knife blade (or regular razor blade for that matter) in my PSK if I carry a pocket knife already? Also, how the heck do you use it without a handle? Or how do I improvize a handle? Thanks!

#8550 - 08/22/02 04:41 PM Re: razor knife blades
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
You may get separated from you knife so it's nice to have a backup blade in your PSK. I find the edge on the razor blade much sharper and accurate for delicate work such as pulling out spliters or operating blisters. If you really need to get a better grip on the razor, wrap one end with duct tape. Also box cuters are small you may actually load one into your PSK. <br><br>Matt

#8551 - 08/22/02 06:49 PM Re: razor knife blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

I keep a few x-acto blades in my tin. I had visions of using thread to tie one to a stick if necessary. While I was in the hardware store today, I may have found a better idea. I picked up some 4 inch long X 1/16 inch thick electrical cable ties. A couple of them would fit in a tin without too much fuss. A bag of 30 cost me $1.13. <br><br>It might work to split a small stick and put the blade in the split. Then use a cable tie to secure it. Its the arrowhead method with modern materials. I havent tested this idea yet.

#8552 - 08/22/02 10:55 PM Re: razor knife blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Backup. I have backup to backup for the important items like knife and fire. I don't use a razor blade in my kit though. I placed a small Victorinox classic in my kit. I also carry a slightly larger SAK on my keyring and a leatherman on my belt. <br><br>http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/archer071/psk002.jpg<br>

#8553 - 08/22/02 10:56 PM Re: razor knife blades
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
You could use the blade, if you need a really sharp edge for delicate work. When you use the razor blade you can break the blade and use one half. If you just wrap one edge in duct tape or put it in a piece of wood there is substantial risk of cutting yourself (done it, learned my lesson). <br>I use disposable scalpell blades instead of razor blades. They are sharp and have a section that can be used as handle. The scalpell blades are also thicker so they are much easier to handle.

#8554 - 08/23/02 10:12 AM Re: razor knife blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the program Ray Mears extreme survival they used a razor blade to skin small animals. It looked relatively easy to use. But then most things look easy when done by other persons<br>Reinhardt

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 235 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
2 seconds ago
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:41 PM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.