Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8534 - 08/22/02 11:29 AM how to secure carry on gear
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I carry on me a great deal of stuff. Most of them are just misc items such a whistles, cords, bandanas, etc but some are expensive items such as my sebenza, wave, windmill or a flashlight. In survival situation you will be forced to perform weird movements, run, crowl, swim. In any case things may come loose. I'm trying to keep everything organized and secured but I have no confidence that things will be where I left them. How do you secure your gear?<br><br>Matt

#8535 - 08/22/02 12:04 PM Re: how to secure carry on gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

For my everyday personal carry items I carry a source of fire in my pocket, SAK and LED light on my keyring and a Leatherman on my belt. For my walk-a-bout kit I use a water resistent, padded cordura camera case that's 7X4X4 that has a shoulder strap and also attaches to my belt. The main pouch is 7X4X2 and there is a secondary pouch that's 4X4X2. I carry it whenever I'm traveling locally on foot or going on a short hike in the nearby woods. If I climb into a vehicle, it comes with me along with my travel pack.

#8536 - 08/22/02 12:34 PM Re: how to secure carry on gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry two altoids tins one is a (FAK and the other is a PSK) I find that they fit comfortably in the front pockets of my jeans and stay there quite well both have ranger bands around them and this gives them some grip I don't think that they will become dislodged from my pockets. I also carry a length of heavy nylon twine on a flat spool in my back pocket - this also has a couple of ranger bands giving it some decent grip. I carry a cell phone, leatherman wave and key chain attached to my belt The leatherman has a snap closure on the sheath and a tunnel for the belt I suspect it will not come loose, the cell phone is in a hard plastic holster - startac first generation. It has only come loose on a few occasions in the many years I have worn it. The key chain has a spring steel clip holding onto my belt and It grips quite well. The keys hang into my front pocket and they stay put. I have a swiss tech minitool, ASP saphire light, whistle, swisstech utilitikey on the key ring along with various keys. With this setup I find that the gear rides securely and quietly. If I go any where out of the urban environment I have a belly pack with other items which is always in the car but worn only when I venture into less urban environs. <br><br>I suspect that I could carry a much reduced urban PSK if I took the time to assemble one. The tools on my keychain and my wave get daily use for one reason or another, The FAK altoids tin gets regular use for minor cuts and bruises (mostly the kids - bandaids stop tears faster than they stop blood!) The PSK only gets out of the pocket at night or when I am evangelizing for preparedness. Then again I haven't looked at my insurance policy in years but I am damned glad it is there in the fire safe all paid up...

#8537 - 08/22/02 02:36 PM Re: how to secure carry on gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is the advice I got from Chris.<br> Remember that you have already far more of a change to survive if you carry a simple pocket knife and a box of matches, than a person who doesn't.<br>I gotta watch myself that I don't get "Gear crazy" and I bet other people do too. The only thing I ALWAYS have with me is my Victorinox Champ on my belt. The rest I carry only if I remember it.<br>Reinhardt

#8538 - 08/22/02 03:36 PM Re: how to secure carry on gear
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
One thing to keep in mind when securing items like knives, flashlights, etc. If you will be in a situation where the tethered item may become entangled, such around swift water, while rappelling, etc., make sure whatever string/twine/line/cordage will have a relatively low breaking point. Several deaths each year of individuals who tied their knife, flashlight with 550 cord or accessory cordage, had the item become entangled in rocks, tree limbs, etc. and drown or become seriously injured, because the item would not break away. Personally for situations where this might occur, I buy cheap (4/$1.00) plastic key ring coils, which have a low breaking point, but still allow me to tether important items I do not want to lose. Pete

#8539 - 08/22/02 06:34 PM Re: how to secure carry on gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use one of these on my belt. It is holding up much better than I thought it would. <br><br>http://www.eaglecreek.com/travel_accessories/40111.html

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 235 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
2 seconds ago
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:41 PM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.