Just a general FYI, but just because something is labeled as "mil-spec" doesn't mean that it is the best. Now I am not cracking on the military, it's my chosen career after all, but just be aware that sometimes/often there are better options out there.

For example, there is a Marine Safety Whistle and Starflash Signal Mirror on every USCG lifevest. I however choose to carry either a STORM safety whistle or Fox 40 and a Rescue Reflector or Rescue Flash signal mirror because I KNOW that the things I have chosen are better than the "mil-spec" standard. Another example is the "mil-spec" fishing kit. I am positive that someone with a little brains can put together a much better fishing kit by themselves.

It all comes back to what works for you. If mil-spec is fine, go with it; but often there are better alternatives. Another example: the military goes to great lengths to quickly rescue downed pilots, would some mil-spec pilot survival equipment for pilots automatically be the best choice for those of you out there that planned on bugging out for week/months?

And finally, as Strech pointed out, "who" says something is "mil-spec?" I can imagine that for some companies it might just be an advertising tactic to excite all the Lay-Z-Boy Rambos out there about their particular product.

Matt