A fishing kit is something I've neglected in my kit. I have fishing gear, just not in my BOB. I think I'm going to get out my stuff and put together a fishing kit for my pack. One thing that I use to do when I was younger was go to the public fishing places and poke around for a bit. Usually in a few minutes I could gather enough line, hooks and sinkers to tie off a good pole and fish all day. That however is not very reliable.

I live in an area where dams are prolific ( there are four major ones within 45 minutes of my house) so usually there is plenty of gear that can be found on a bored afternoon of wreckage hunting, and there is usually no shortage of wrecks around dams. Most of my early tackleboxes were stocked in this manner and I got some really good lures that way. If you live in an area where there is alot of public fishing, you might try looking in trees overhanging the water to see those expensive lures that people lost. It's a cheap way to stock a tacklebox, and it's fun to just get out and enjoy nature. I'm gonna go get my gear out now and make me a fishing kit.