I really didn't mean to get back into the whole caliber debate, but I suppose that was a little naive of me, anytime you mention a gun and caliber in the same post it's bound to come up.

Let me clarify, I would never presume to state that the .22 is the ideal round, the facts just don't justify it. One could make the argument to it's superiority over say the .25 or maybe the .32, but even that is stretching it.

When I am working or spending time in the city, I have a .38 or a 9mm, and I would probably still be outgunned caliber wise in most encounters. The only arena my NAA .22 commands is in the B.O.B. If I hike up Mt. Whitney or Old Baldy, every ounce is carefully chosen and agonized over. If I was to be perfectly honest with myself, I would have to admit that any gun at all is probably an unneccessary burden, but never-the-less one I am unwilling to give up.

I apologize to anyone who misconstrued my post as suggesting that the .22 is the ultimate caliber, I didn't say it initially and don't claim it now. If you are physically fit enough to carry a fully loaded .44, .45, 9mm, etc., etc., in your B.O.B., along with all the other essential gear a prudent person should have, then more power to you, I guess I'm just not that strong or willing enough to carry extra weight I have a 99.99% chance of never needing. My first time hiking up Mt. Whitney, I carried about 40lbs. in my pack and was completely miserable. The second time I did Whitney, I left about 20lbs. of the unneccessary gear home and had a great time!

My question to those of you who would tell me how worthless my NAA .22 would be if I ever had to use it is, How often had you needed to use your weapon? My guess is not all that often, so instead of playing the odds (way in my favor), that nothing will happen and not carrying anything, I carry the NAA in my B.O.B.