Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83602 - 01/23/07 05:25 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
Lasd02 Offline

Loc: Pasadena, Calif.

You can pick up this Freeplay Sherpa LED at Target for just under $30. It has 7 LED's and 2 power settings, the high power seems plenty bright to me, but YRMV. I like that you can plug in the provided DC adapter and charge it's built in batteries or just crank the handle and power it via internal generator. On a full charge, I left it on set to low power and it was still providing usable light over 24 hours later! It's a little on the big/bulky side but it's great to be able to throw it in your BOB and not have to worry about changing batteries.

The other gadget in the picture is a Sony emergency radio/lLED. Also available at Target for about $40 but the LED is not all that bright.

#83603 - 01/23/07 08:11 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
Alejandro Offline
Stranger

Loc: Caracas - Venezuela
I would recommend the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon. Great value for the money, and a very good thrower. I'm very pleased with mine and have used it in a couple of hikes and it has deliver more light than what was actually needed.
Foxintl still has it at a very competitive price, check their web page.
Regards

#83604 - 01/24/07 10:40 AM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
I Second the streamlight propolymer luxeon. Great light, excellent beam quality, throw, and spread, uses AA batteries, and truly fully regulated. Definitely great bang for the buck.

#83605 - 01/24/07 02:43 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I actually own both SL 4AA ProPoly LEDs and UK 4AA LEDs and find the two both be great but have very different characteristics that lend them well to different uses.

The SL ProPoly has fantastic throw due to the relatively narrow beam, but is not the best for closeup lighting, such as walking a path at night. I carry a SL 4AA ProPoly in my truck and use it when Scoutmastering in case I need to search for Scouts off in the distance (it happens), but I much prefer using the UK 4AA when walking trails, working at the campsite, or inside a tent.

OK, the truth is that the UK 4AA LED is getting less use these days because more and more I'm using my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp when walking trails, working at the campsite, or inside the tent.

Though it is more than $30 ($34) I would STRONGLY recommend the Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. It is powerful, tiny, and somehow (magic?) it is always pointed at the direction I'm look at. Look Ma, no hands! What a great light.

If you HAVE to stay under $30, I'll second the vote for the Rock River 2AAA from Target. Nice little lights that I have scattered around my home.

Ken K.

#83606 - 01/24/07 03:37 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Quote:
Though it is more than $30 ($34) I would STRONGLY recommend the Princeton Tec EOS headlamp.

Actually, I think you can get it for under $30. I believe that LL Bean's Trailblazer headlamp is a rebranded PT EOS. Only $24.95.

#83607 - 01/24/07 04:05 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Though the Trailblazer II's case does look a bit like the EOS, I don't think it is an EOS - rather, I think it is a Princeton Tec Quad.

If you check http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_headlamps.htm the Quad is a very nice light, but not nearly as bright as the EOS. Brightguys.com sells it for about $28.95 - about the same price as the $29.50 at llbean.com.

The description says the Trailblazer II has "four LED bulbs", but the EOS only has one - though a very powerful one. It says the Trailblazer's low level lasts 150 hours, but the EOS low level is listed as lasting 60 hours. The Trailblazer says it has a red low-battery indicator, but the EOS doesn't have that.

#83608 - 01/24/07 04:21 PM Re: LED HeadLamps
MissouriExile Offline
dedicated member

Loc: SW Missouri / SE Wisconsin
Slightly off topic but here goes. During a recent 8 day power outage (ice storm, SW Missoui), Both my wife & I found great utility in LED head Lamps. Great for reading, cooking, repairs, etc, etc. We have a ton of flash lights but used the headlamps more than all together. I even wore it turned on when I had a brighter flashlight in my hand out doors when feeding the livestock. I could always stick the flashlight in my pocket when I needed both hands. Handy item when in a jam.

Jon

#83609 - 01/24/07 04:58 PM Re: Best LED light for under $30?
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
This a Trailblazer, item # TK49775. Not a Trailblazer II.

#83610 - 01/24/07 05:13 PM Re: LED HeadLamps
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
My cousin and sometimes camping buddy gave me a Petzl Tikka LED headlamp for Christmas. Prior to actually using one I was never impressed with headlamps, but now I am becomming a convert. I EDC it in the pocket of my winter jacket. It is very handy for walking around in the dark and performing close-up tasks. Its great to have the light right where you need it and both hands free.

However, I found there are things that a handheld light does do better, like aiming it at something/someone before you turn it on. Or when there is fog/rain/snow in the air it is better for your line-of-site to be on a different axis than the beam of light - with the light on your head you are forced to look through the illuminated column of light.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#83612 - 01/24/07 07:50 PM Re: LED HeadLamps
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

... but it is pretty easy to simply hold the headlamp in my hand. Wrapping the headband around my wrist or hand makes it even more secure.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/13/24 04:31 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.