Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8245 - 08/14/02 02:48 PM Backpack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just came back from a canoe trip and found out that I'm not nearly as ready for an emergency situation than I thought I was. <br>I am trying to "get organized." One problem was that I had way too many bags and "sacks" with all my clothes, camping supplies, etc.<br>I am thinking of purchasing a backpack that would hold most of my supplies. I went to an Army/Navy surplus store and they have some real nice backpacks (3,000cu.). <br>Do any of you think this would be wise or should I look for other means to carry my supplies? Like a duffle bag or something? <br>Also, in light of the terrorist threats, would it be "normal" to have a military backpack w/o raising suspicion? Or should I get a backpack that is non-military?<br>Thanks for any suggestions.<br>I really enjoy this site.<br>God bless,<br>Joe

#8246 - 08/14/02 03:55 PM Re: Backpack
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Joe,<br><br>I would avoid anything overtly military. For one thing, there's the survivalist connotation. Also, civilian products are generally of higher quality and "use-ability". You're more likely to get what YOU want, rather than some armchair warrior's idea of a "good enough for everybody" item. Most military "personal issue" gear, is IMO a collection of compromises that sometimes work, and more often don't. You'll pay more for a civilian product, but you'll get what you need. Always remember that anything military was made by the lowest bidder.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#8247 - 08/14/02 03:56 PM canoe stuff
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Do any of you think this would be wise or should I look for other means to carry my supplies? Like a duffle bag or something? "<br><br>Since you didnt specify, I will assume you have a canoe for calm water use. You might want to check out what the whitewater canoeists are using if your primary use will be inside the boat. They always seem to have some way to get everything to fit nice and snug in order to "splashproof" the boat.<br>My problem is that , after I put my wife, my 7 year old and myself in the canoe, I never have enough room for the things I would like to carry. <br><br>" in light of the terrorist threats, would it be "normal" to have a military backpack w/o raising suspicion?"<br><br>Im the type of person who doesnt pay any attention to others "suspicions". If I did, I would never do anything. September 11th has only made my resolve that much harder. Buy what does the job for you and to heck with everyone else's opinion. <br><br>Im curious as to what kind of canoe you use and what part of the world you use it in. For many years I had a Mohawk. It was fantastic, but I never felt it was tough enough to take a lot of abuse. This spring I broke down and bought a plastic coleman. Its directional stability is horrible, but I am not the slightest bit worried about damaging it.

#8248 - 08/14/02 05:13 PM Re: Backpack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most of the serious canoe *trippers* in the north country are still using the *original*. This is a real *serious* canoe pack company. Check out their 'thwart' bags, canvas canoe seats, and canvas seat bag. (neat). By far, most of their designs, and a large volume of their sales, are to serious canoe people.<br><br>Go to:<br><br>http://www.duluthpack.com/<br><br>Then get their catalog. It's a great read, and an addicting *wish* book. If you can't get it all in the largest Duluth Pack (I think it is called the 'Paul Bunyan', and is ocer 7000 cubic inches in volume) then you are carrying too much.<br><br>The Duluth Packs are the original designs, still in canvas, as used by the vouyagers in the fur trade along the northern canoe routes. (It's still the same company; bought the original patent from Porier). The catalog tells you how to use their plastic liners to *waterproof* the contents.<br><br>I have used Duluth packs, etc. for over 40 years of field work and have never found the durability, design or quality wanting.<br><br>Prospector

#8249 - 08/14/02 07:03 PM Re: Backpack
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Arcteryx makes a “waterproof” pack called Rolltop (25-55). They are little bit on the expensive side but they are great for mixed weather conditions. But if you flip your boat water will find its way in. If you can spend the money I would recommend getting one and lining it with a heavy duty garbage bag. <br><br>I like ALICE military packs because of the amount of packets and comfortable straps. Much less resistant to water and snow than Arcteryx packs but if properly prepared it can go a long way. <br><br>If you know that your gear will be subjected to water that is always on the bottom of the kayak or canoe maybe a good idea is to invest into one of the Baja Bags. They are basically a duffel bags made out of water proof material with roll top or waterproof zipper. I know that North Face made it. Problem with such a bag is that it has limited use. <br><br>In my opinion I would choose a backpack that I feel comfortable with and than get a Waterproof bag for protection. When on land or when tracking waterproof bag can be rolled and attached to your pack. Choose a pack according to your posture. They have different frame sizes and it really makes a difference. Make sure that straps feel comfortable and that they don’t cut into your shoulders.<br><br>I kayak a lot so I really appreciate a value of dry gear after spending some wet time in rough water. <br><br>Matt

#8250 - 08/15/02 01:46 AM Re: Backpack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bought an Italian mountaneering pack from Major Surplus<br><br>Jeez is it big. internal frame, kidney pad. two large outside compartments, leather and heavy canvas with a rubber coating on the inside and the pack is adjustable..<br><br>If you need to pack it full you can, otherwise you can tighten the cover down and shrink it down to a smaller size.<br><br>Its a heavy pack, but a good deal for the price IMO. looking forward to using it for hunting and camping this winter<br><br>Tim

#8251 - 08/15/02 04:48 AM Re: Backpack
Anonymous
Unregistered

For a couple of years I was routinely travelling to an island where my gear went ashore throuh surf and was subject to wetting. I used a roll top dry bag to hold my pack, sleeping bag and other stuff. Although wetted many times, the water never penetrated the outer bag and my things stayed nice and dry. I got a noce big size that had its own shoulder straps - althoughrather primitive, they worked fine for short hauls. For long walks, I pulled my "real" backpack from out of the dry bag and stashed the dry bag.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 673 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Today at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.