Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8232 - 08/13/02 09:29 PM mini mini kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you carry your mini kit everywhere you go or do you carry something smaller? I personally carry a kit 3 by 2 inches containing matche,s razor blades, plasters, water puri tabs, salt, cotton wool, and anteseptic wipes

#8233 - 08/14/02 12:25 AM Re: mini mini kits
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I usually have my PSK on me. It instills the habit of keeping it 24/7, even though I hardly anticipate fishing on the Los Angeles freeway. I'm out in semi wilderness enough to justify it. My car has several items for emergency also. Actually, an urban kit can be assembled too. I am always using the photon2 at night, producing a bandage ( plaster) and prep pad for someone's minor wound or using my button compass to confirm directions.

#8234 - 08/14/02 06:18 AM Re: mini mini kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally i intend to keep the kit with me which i have just made 24/7 and keep it on my bedside table atnight if something happened it would be handy!<br><br>I try and keep <br>1) a wave<br>2)a rescusitation pack<br>3)whistle<br>4)cell phone<br>5)poacket of matches <br>on me at all times!!!<br>

#8235 - 08/15/02 03:01 PM Re: mini mini kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

cause the time im out in the wilderness is ushly hard core mountain biking i have badaids,my multi tool swiss,25 piece firstaid kit,bike repair water rope machess chocolate and salt

#8236 - 08/16/02 11:06 AM Re: mini mini kits
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Ditchfield,<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Do you carry your mini kit everywhere you go or do you carry something smaller? I personally carry a kit 3 by 2 inches containing matche,s razor blades, plasters, water puri tabs, salt, cotton wool, and anteseptic wipes <p><hr></blockquote><p>I once posted the contents of a micro PSK, which I had created mainly as an exercise in prioritizing. It was in an Altoids Tiny Tin, and it worked nicely. The goal was to create, not a stand alone PSK, but a supplement to my Every Day Carry. So, I didn't need a "real" knife, whistle, LED flashlight, lighter, mini multi-tool, space pen, waterproof paper, condom and what-not, since I already have this stuff in my pockets all the time. All I needed to put in the tin was 1) more fire starting materials, 2) water purification tablets and 3) miscellaneous useful tools, like a wire saw, needles, etc. This micro tin added all of other stuff needed to "round me out", so to speak, for the outdoors, and was small enough that I could, indeed, carry it on me every day. I liked it so much, I did actually add it to my EDC gear, and have been habitually carrying it ever since.<br><br>But then, I found an ever so slightly larger tin of mints packaged exclusively for, I believe, Walgreens. I figured that would give me the extra space I needed for water foraging devices; a piece of dehydrated sponge and short length of teflon tubing. These would supplement the condom I always carry in a pocket/travel sized Extra Strength Excedrin tin and give me at least a minor increase in my ability to collect water. Without these two additional items, I could still store it and purify it, but I would have no ability to collect it from less accessible locations. I also managed to get a few more matches and tinders in, IIRC. About the only thing I really miss having at this point is a decent signal mirror.<br><br>You can find some images of these micro tins here.<br><br>I always carry my first aid items in a separate (and slightly larger) tin. It's personal preference only; I prefer survival kits to be sealed against casual (convenience) usage, but medical kits to be open (and, yes, definitely convenient) to encourage their use. So, you won't find any of those types of items in these micro-kits.<br><br>If I know I'm going out off the beaten path, so to speak (like leading newbies on night hikes with my girlfriend out at the Dallas Nature Center, or other such relatively close-to-civilization locations), I have a "real" PSK in a larger Windmill lighter tin. It has more items and more of each item... including a signal mirror. If I know I'm going out into more distant outdoors, I also carry a pack with larger hiking/camping gear, so I don't have to rely on the miniaturized last-ditch nature of my PSK items. My Jeep is also always stocked so I can go on impromptu road trips (or offroad trips ).

Edited by jet (08/17/02 08:17 AM)

#8237 - 08/16/02 12:34 PM Re: mini mini kits
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Hey Jet,<br><br>I saw that you also used a Windmill tin your PSK. Aren't they great? I find them to be so much better than Altoids tin.<br><br>Matt

#8238 - 08/16/02 06:30 PM Re: mini mini kits
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I always carry a small kit. It contains bandaids, a scalpell blade, matches, a lighter, stainless steel wire, needle and thread, a pair of tweezer, a small lens, a piece of a saw blade for metall (thatīs more convient than a hacksaw blade as itīs thinner), and an artificial flint in a small tobacco tin. Usually I also wear a multitool (Gerber or Wave) and a folder on my belt.<br>My extended kit contains additional brass wire, a wire saw, a piece of a saw blade for metall (thatīs more convient than a hacksaw blade as itīs thinner), paper, a pen, purifing tablets (Micropur), a candle and small lockback folder.<br>To prevent the contents from rattling, itīs filled with cotton wool.<br>The items in the small kit prooved to be really usefull even in normal situations.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 534 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.