Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#81887 - 01/03/07 04:16 PM Re: spark-lite and tinder
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I took your advice and did a search. I found many alternate CARRIED tinders that people use with the spark-lite, nothing really about impromtu tinder that could be used in either an urban or wilderness environment and that had been tested with the spark-lite. I guess I need to backup and learn the basics of starting fires with tinder now. Pyromania is good...

Yah, I think you have a couple of different questions here. One about creating your own carried tinder of which there has been a lot of discussion; Which manufactured one is best, and lots of how to make your own.

Personally, I'm partial to the WetFire tinder by Ultimate Survival, who unfortunately recently went out of business, although there does appear to be at least some product still in the channels.

I found it burns well and it kind of melts and merges with the materials near it. As such, you can often use a very small bit of the material in conjunction with some small twigs, needles or leaves.

But you have a good point that there is much less discussion about improvised tinder.

Obviously that will depend a lot of your location and situation. In the Pacific Northwest, finding things that will burn isn't a problem - but finding dry materials.

If things are dry, it is a lot easier. I think one of the keys is to "fuzz" your tinder. For example, if you have some dry grass, break up the ends into fine strands. You should also be able to "fuzz" items including wood with your knife, held perpendicular to the item your are fuzzing.

There is also talk about using "fluffy" seed pods and while you sometimes encounter stuff like that here in the NW, it depends on where and when you are.

Of course you also asked about how the Spark-Lite tinders are made. As your wife points out, the material itself isn't overly sophisticated, but I recall they are impregnated with a couple of materials which is soaked all the way through. Perhaps someone who remembers can comment on what they are.

Also, the different fire starters work to different effect. My recollection is Doug has done some reviews that you should be able to find from the Equipped home page. I don't recall how well the Spark-lite performed, but I do recall that they all have different attributes to be considered. Personally, I have never used the Spark-lite, instead opting for the Swedish Firesteel, "Scout" model and the back of my knife.

You also hit on an other important issue. You want to practice ahead of time. Some people don't have much experience starting fires at all, and even with a match or lighter, much less using wet materials and only a sparker.

You want to build good working skill building fires, identifying and gathering tinder and becoming familiar with the attributes of the equipment you carry.

-john

Edited by JohnN (01/03/07 04:20 PM)

#81888 - 01/03/07 04:26 PM Re: spark-lite and tinder
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My old worn out copy of the SAS Survival Manual lists the following as good tinder:

Birch bark, dried grasses, fine wood shavings, bird down, waxed paper, and cotton fluff from clothing...
Pulverized fir cones, pine needles, and the inner bark from cedar trees.
Dried fungi are excellent, if finely powdered, and scorcned or charred cotton or linen, especially ground finely, are also among the best.
Where insects such as wood wasps have been boring into trees the find dust they produce is good tinder and powdery bird and bat droppings can also be used. The inside of birds' nests are usually lined with feathers and ignite easliy-dry Fieldmouse nexts are also usable.

Whatever tinder you use MUST BE DRY. It is a good idea to carry tinder with you in a waterproof container. Always keep an eye open for tinder to collect...

#81889 - 01/04/07 01:16 AM Re: spark-lite and tinder
Old_Scout Offline
journeyman

Loc: Delaware
Quote:
Whatever tinder you use MUST BE DRY
Must beg to differ, ever so slightly. I'm very familiar with two natural tinders that need not be dry - in the conventional sense. Bark of the white birch (may apply to other birches, I just have no experience) and fat pine ("lightern"). I've used both after days of rain (and it was still raining). In the case of the birch I can remember one time in Ontario after 14 straight days of rain (summer 1970), took some bark, shook it off, shredded with knife, struck sparks and had fire. Fed with lots of birch bark and twigs - um good! Fat pine is naturally "waterproof" too. When you can find it, I think it's best. I totally agree with you - when you're in the woods and see good tinder - grab it. I always carry a ZipLoc just for that.

"Be Prepared" "For what?" "Why, any old thing!" B-P

#81890 - 01/04/07 01:32 AM Re: spark-lite and tinder
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Bark of the white birch...fat pine..."

Guess the Brits aren't familiar with that stuff...

#81891 - 01/04/07 01:36 AM Re: spark-lite and tinder
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
You really only need enough vasoline to make the cotten balls greasy feeling. I was in a class once and we took a baseball sized ball of cotton and a dollop of vasoline. Work it in good. I tried out my spark-lite on a pinch of that mix I had made and it caught on the first strike.

#81892 - 01/04/07 12:54 PM Re: spark-lite and tinder
BlackSwan Offline

Thanks to you and everyone for the comments. This is a very civil place with lots of helpful, informed people. I know I will learn alot.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 622 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.