Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#81614 - 12/30/06 08:46 PM our first snow in MA
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Well, it started snowing around noon today, so I decided to take a dayhike. I got a visa giftcard for christmas, and bought a pair of North Face goretex light hikers. As I have yet to try them out, I figured today would be an excellent day. So, I packed my lumbar pack, threw my PSK in a cargo pocket, and off I went.
We have a local mountain (read; hill) here that is fairly popular for hikers. Birdwatchers come to watch the hawks migrate in the fall as well. But, today, I came across about 15 people out hiking this hill, which is more than I usually see during warmer months! It was nice to see people out enjoying the weather. My girlfriend thinks I'm a little wierd for wanting to go out into this weather, but, hey, to each his own. There were even a group of 3 spending the night on the mountain.
So, I decided to try lighting a fire in not so ideal conditions. To set this up, here is a visual; It was about 25* today, with light snow. I was on top of a bald mountain, about 1500' or so above sea level. Wind was from the north, about 10-15 mph. Wind was a constant on the hill. I figured that I couldnt get too much a worse condition to try & light a fire. So, off with the mittens, and onto firebuilding 101.
First attempt, with vaseline impregnated cotton balls and spark-light; tried for a good 5 minutes, got nothing. Gave up.
Second attempt, using spark-light and tinder quik; after about 15 attempts, got a light. managed to get a bed of tinder going (dry grass) immediately. Let it burn itself out, stomped it out, poured a little water from my canteen onto it, and called it a day. Decided that I am going to pick up more tinder quik, as it lights a helluva lot easier in nasty conditions.
Now, with the cotton balls; what is the secret to getting these to catch a spark? I even tried to light it with a disposable lighter, and got nothing (only tried once though).

#81615 - 12/31/06 01:42 AM Re: our first snow in MA
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Aloha Oldsoldier,

Two things with cotton balls...

1. Make sure it is cotton and not nylon or some other material. Yours might not have been cotton if a lighter wouldn't light it.

2. Fluff if up first. The more light and airy you can make it, the easier it will take a spark.

I hope that helps. If you want to "cheat" to help your cotton ball take a spark (although, if you fluff it, you really shouldn't have to), you could cut a short length of jute cord, unravel it all up to its tiniest fibers, and kinda put it on and around your cotton ball. If that doesn't take a spark, I would be extremely surprised.

I did the fluffed up cotton ball with the jute cord for my wife's first attempt with a Magfire a year or two ago, and she was able to get it started right up. I wanted to make sure it would start so she wouldn't get discouraged. In fact, she started to get hooked on the preparedness and outdoor survival stuff at that point. Well, hooked may be a little of a strong word, but she will carry a PSK when she is out now. And her reaction to the fire starting was, "COOL!" And she will periodically ask to start the fire.

#81616 - 12/31/06 02:22 AM Re: our first snow in MA
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I lit the cotton balls sans the vaseline before, with just the spark lite, and they caught no problem. I did look up online a little while ago, and, it seems that you are correct; I didnt fluff them. I guess I should have figured this out on my own, as you gotta fluff up the tinder quik. Go figure. Ah well, better to practice & learn when it isnt needed, then learn on the fly. Thanks for the help!

#81617 - 12/31/06 08:29 AM Re: our first snow in MA
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Without vaseline, the cotton balls are already fluffed. The vaseline compresses it so you have to manually fluff.

Just remember that fire needs fuel AND air as you prepare and you should be fine.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 403 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Aaron_Guinn, israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo
5370 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Herman30
Yesterday at 02:39 PM
Man rescued, floating on cooler
by Ren
10/16/24 02:39 PM
Satellite texting via iPhone, 911 via Pixel
by Ren
10/11/24 11:25 AM
Hurricane Milton
by Herman30
10/09/24 11:07 AM
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.