"The countries you mention now are supplementing other compasses as a cost savings measure, so that everyone can have a compass. Most all of them still have professional models for non supplemental use."

I really don't think that's true anymore, if it ever was, depending upon what you consider a 'professional' compass (Compasses issued to artillery units for precise fire control excluded, of course). Both Silva and Suunto have NATO stock numbers for their standard long-baseplate compasses, and certify them for military use for conventional land navigation and unit maneuvers. They have been in use for decades now, and considered first-line (not substitute standard) issue in all countries I have named. They are durable, waterproof, and available in mils, degrees, or both, with self-illuminated markings (tritium). At one point, the U.K. was issuing the lightweight protractor or baseplate compass (Silva 4 NATO or Suunto M-5) concurrently with the older prismatic individual 'oil bottles' with cost cited as a factor, but the compass proved so satisfactory for general field and infantry use that all subsequent purchases have been the Silva 4-type baseplate compass. Since UK land forces in particular are well known for holding onto, servicing, and reissuing small quantities of equipment long after its discontinuance by other armies, I don't think you can draw any negative conclusions by their continued use of existing stocks of the older prismatic individual compass (Back in 1980, the British Army did get hold of a bad run of Suunto M-5M baseplate compasses using an experimental liquid fill - it reacted with the compass pivot and turned the liquid blue-green, which didn't help Suunto's rep any, as the same defective compasses were unfortunately re-issued for many years thereafter!). SAS has used the Silva Model 54 (54M/6400), which is a prismatic sighting, tritium-lit baseplate compass (available with cover) also used by various military forces in Northern Europe as well as by the Australian Land Forces. Canada has long issued the Silva Ranger, a mirror-sighting baseplate compass with hinged cover, with complete satisfaction, and has also issued the Suunto MC-1, MC-2, and the Silva Model 54. None of these compasses can be considered low-end, and I disagree with you that the 'oil bottle' designs are any more soldier-proof than current baseplate or mirror-sight models. The UK does not use a cover with their lightweight baseplate compasses, and the British land forces manual instructs lightweight compass users to take more care in ensuring that the set bearing on night marches is not accidentally jostled, but it apparently hasn't been a problem in the field.

Even U.S. forces have experimented with the Silva of Sweden Ranger and the Silva 54/6400 - the Ranger is particularly popular as a private-purchase compass with Special Forces and Army Rangers for jungle operations, as it doesn't fog up or become incapacitated through humidity or water immersion like the standard U.S. lensatic model.

"a little note the M-73 uses filtered kerosene."

Both of mine came filled with pure iso alcohol. One was recently serviced/refilled and the repair tech confirmed the alcohol fill. They seem to be fairly versatile designs and I have even heard of some owners using filtered diesel fuel as a substitute. I understand that Silva's 'oil bottle' design, the MK IV, used to be filled with a light viscosity oil, much like its other compasses.

"Tritium is just great, shame the luminous markers on most baseplate compasses are a JOKE, you might have just enough time to read it after charging with a flashlight before it goes out."

That's true in many cases. Suunto has made a considerable effort to improve luminosity of standard models with its fully luminous bezel, which is an improvement and was one of the factors cited when the U.S. Forest Service selected a Suunto (M-5SK ('Smoke Killer'), a derivative of the M-5N NATO military model) for official issue to its forest fire fighting employees. They have also begun using larger luminous markings on many of their newer models. Silva of Sweden's Model 4LU and 54LU have fairly good luminous markings. Recta's matchbox compasses have excellent luminous markings, though their less expensive baseplate models often have little or no luminous points. Silva's top-of-the-line 25 Ranger TDCLE mirror-sight compass uses a replaceable, non-magnetic battery to provide illumination good for 6000 sightings and it works very well. In addition to tritium vials, I have long waited for manufacturers to adopt the photoluminescent lighting that so many marine handbearing compasses use today - it is both bright and fairly long-lasting.

"Lastly the declination compensation built into baseplate compasses are nice, I don't find that a protractor (douglas-square) or an aviation style (with magnetic compensation) are much hassle to carry in the map pouch."

Personal preference. It's more bulk and weight. Ultralight backpacking, long-distance backpacking, and adventure racing, etc. is now the rage, and they would strongly disagree with you - hard to convince those guys to even carry a compass along. If you carry a heavy prismatic compass, a protractor, and a protective pouch, you could probably substitute a small GPS instead and still have a nice baseplate compass along for no increase in weight.