Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8096 - 08/10/02 08:05 PM Ray Mear knife and Wilkonson Sword survival knife
Anonymous
Unregistered

To the members, <br>has anyone got experience with the new Ray mear knife? Just wondering if the £200 is worh it. I know that a knife is like a wife (every one has personal taste) but just general feedback would be great!<br>Also any one know the price of the Wilkonson Sword survival knife or any info about it?<br>thanx

Edited by reinhardt_woets (08/10/02 08:20 PM)

#8097 - 08/10/02 09:23 PM Re: Ray Mear knife and Wilkonson Sword survival knife
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Ray Mears knife is an excellent knife. it is also about twice what anybody else is charging for the equivelent. The MOD4 is no longer made by Wilkenson, which exists in name only. I own one, as does Old Bald Guy and Justin on the forum. The sheath is junk. You have to reprofile the edge to get it sharp. At a uniform 52 rockwell it dulls quickly with hard use ( but easily resharpens) The wood handled version can be reprofiled for comfort. The black fiber version at best can be wrapped with paracord. If you carry multiple knives it has it's use. If you are seeking one basic blade no. They sell for @ $ 70 in the US. For the same money you can get a Cold Steel or Fallkniven ( just to name a few) Justin is in G.B. perhaps he can connect you with a dealer.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/10/02 09:28 PM)

#8098 - 08/11/02 10:31 AM Re: Ray Mear knife and Wilkonson Sword survival knife
Anonymous
Unregistered

your post about the Wilkonson survival knife has been a real eye opener for me as I read a really good review about. The search continues...<br>Just one question, you know the black fiber handle how strong is it? <br>Any suggestions for a fixed blade survival knife would be very welcome (please add the address of the webpage if it avaliable).<br>thanx

#8099 - 08/11/02 03:28 PM Re: Ray Mear knife and Wilkonson Sword survival knife
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Was the MOD4 review online? I would like to read it. The black fiber handles are virtually indestructable, as is the whole knife. I am rather fond of mine for very specific applications and use. I would not want it for my sole knife.There are so many fine knives out there. I would look at them all. www.fallkniven.com www.coldsteel.com

#8100 - 08/11/02 04:35 PM Re: Ray Mear knife and Wilkonson Sword survival knife
Anonymous
Unregistered

The review was in a book(SURVIVAL), the person who wrote the article (the book is a compelation of the magazine "Combat and Survival") seemed very keen on it and used it as his one fixed balde knife for everything 2gether with only one other knife. A folding/locking 6cm knife.<br>Ryan

#8101 - 08/11/02 05:09 PM Re: Ray Mear knife and Wilkonson Sword survival knife
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ryan<br>I wonder whether there's two different knives being talked about here. Penrith Survival used to sell a Wilkinson Sword Survival knife which definitely wasn't the MOD4, much better looking, and more expensive, although I don't know enough about knives to say whether it was any good. They don't sell the knife now and I don't think Wilkinson make it any more either.<br><br>If it's the MOD4 that youre looking for, I got mine from a company called Anchor Supplies (www.anchorsupplies.com) although it was advertised in a Land Rover mag rather than on their web site. It cost £32.50 plus P&P ring them on 01773 570139 it's called the British Army Survival Knife. Like I said I'm no knife expert, I followed Chris' Advice on sharpening it and have played with it a few times, taking down standing dead wood, making feather stickes from it, digging holes! Doesn't work so well with the Swedish Fire steel though so I wouldn't rely on it as my only fixed blade knife. It is heavy and is a bit sore on the hands.<br><br>Now as for the Ray Mears knife, I've held one, a stag handled one at that ( He gives them to his apprentices when they become qualified to run courses themselves. Only one person in the UK: www.woodsmoke.uk.com) Very nice knife but whether it's worth the dosh I don't know. Bison Buschraft do a similar knife for £125 (www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk). I'm saving my pocket money for a Fallkniven F1 just under Ten Sick Squids from heinnie haynes at www.heinnie.com<br><br><br>Justin<br>

#8102 - 08/11/02 05:29 PM Re: Ray Mear knife and Wilkonson Sword survival knife
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Justin! O.K. now I recall the Penrith knife. I handled one once. it is well made, but overall I thought to many features were exaggerated ( Austin Powers meets Rambo). If Rienhardt can find one it likely is highly collectable anyway.

#8103 - 08/11/02 06:21 PM Re: Ray Mear knife and Wilkonson Sword survival knife
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont know the technical name for it. In the book they just call it wilkonson survival knife. The handle is black (looks plastic but I think it is stronger than that), it only got a hand guard on the bottom side, got a low drop point, a strait swage, a saw on the back of the knife, hollow handle and a full tang.<br>I hope that describes it a bit...<br>reinhardt

#8104 - 08/11/02 08:50 PM Re: Ray Mear knife and Wilkonson Sword survival knife
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

thats the Penrith knife. They are out of production and rising in price rapidly. There are better knives available for less money.

#8105 - 08/12/02 05:22 AM Re: Ray Mear knife and Wilkonson Sword survival knife
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi<br>I use the F1 also from Heinnie. I think its a great knife, I almost bought the Forester instead but decided on the F1. I live on the Welsh coast so I went for the teflon coating (anti salt corrosion), which of course wears a bit thin after time. Its a very good nice sized dependable strong knife. well reccommended.<br><br>Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 475 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Yesterday at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.