Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#80514 - 12/19/06 12:46 AM Re: FCC eliminates morse code requirements
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Having lived life professionally around radio work for many years, here's my insight into why morse code was fundamentally important, and still could be.

From a true technician's perspective, the simplest radio communication device to construct is CW. Basically, you need to build an oscillator circuit to resonate at a specific frequency, then simply turn it off and on, and you can communicate. No keyboards, no microphones, and best of all, intelligence is more easily distguishable by a trained ear than any other form. You could build a low power transmitter from parts salvaged from consumer electronics, at least before the age of everything digital and surface mount hybrid ICS. In fact, you could take a basic amplifier circuit built around a common 2N2222 or 2N3904 transistor, which were quite common, and tweak it to oscillate at a set frequency, if you had a basic amount of training in electronics theory.

In fact, you could even build a makeshift transmitter from things with microprocessors and such in them, since they all have oscillators of their own, and you could key the circuit using morse code in a way that people who make their living listening for such things (I used to be one of those types long ago) would be able to detect, recognize, and act on.

But if you didn't know code, then it wouldn't do you much good to sit there and randomly key a transmitter. Even if detected, it wouldn't be recognized, and therefore no benefit.

By the way, countries such as China, Russia and Australia still have morse code transmission mode as a back up for all that snazzy digital, spread spectrum satellite stuff. In fact, it is still part of our back up in the states as well. When all else fails, you can fall back on the code as a last gasp.

I got up to 36 wpm back in the day, now I am lucky to make the 18 mark, and even then I'd probably need a couple weeks to raise the edge back up. I do like the idea of packing a low power portable rig juiced up with a couple lithium batteries set for Tx mid band at 40 meters or 20 meters. If I got in a pinch, I know once I got it set up, which don't take much, someone will eventually hear my signal and send in the rescue team. 3 watts goes around the world fairly well, albeit it is in the grass most of the time nowadays with all the noisy gadgets, but people are still listening for it. I don't think CW or morse code will ever go away completely.

#80515 - 12/19/06 05:35 PM Re: FCC eliminates morse code requirements
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Ironically the elimination of the morse code requirements may help to promote the use of morse code. I know some people (that includes me) who never took the test because it would have required to prepare for the test and have some time off in order to take it. And I didnīt really need to know to communicate in morse code. Without the requirements one can just learn the code and call CQ on the local clubīs frequencies. Some CW enthusiats may be happy to have QSOs.
For this winter I started learning it as a winter project. I hope to reach 12 wpm at first.

#80516 - 01/01/07 11:42 PM Re: FCC eliminates morse code requirements
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
Hi,

In New Zealand the Morse requirement was dropped a while ago. I have been casually interested in Ham radio for a long time, but last week I decided I would have a go at the exam. Well, I passed, so soon I should get a licence and a callsign.

I have no doubt that Morse is a terribly useful skill to learn, but being a Ham is useful by itself. Anyway, the test requirements in NZ are not too onerous. If you know basic physics (Ohm's law etc.) and spend some time reading the regulations and the basics of what's inside a radio and how radio works then you can probably get your licence fairly quickly.

I can't buy gear until I get my callsign (no-one is supposed to sell Ham gear to non-Hams), but I'm looking forward to getting on the air.

A

#80517 - 01/02/07 03:46 PM Re: FCC eliminates morse code requirements
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Congratulation for passing your exam and I wish you lots of fun when you receive your callsign.
The Morse code requirement was dropped in Germany a couple of years ago. But there still is the option to take an exam as some countries would require an exam to issue guest licenses.
I agree that being a HAM is useful by itself. I took an exam last year. My callsign is DO1MLA. I do not have DX equippment right now but if you like we may try to get connection via Echolink (just send me a PM if youīre interested).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 357 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.