Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7955 - 08/07/02 05:03 PM Plant tests
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bill Van made a recent post commenting on mushrooms and the inherent dangers. The taste test is not license to start ingesting small amounts of anything from lichen to redwood trees. Many plants evolved ignorant of the 24 hour rule ;O) Avoiding known groups with many poisonous members such as mushrooms altogether may be a prefered strategy. Some illegal immigrants died here in California after eating mushrooms. All the medical resources of a modern hospital couldn't reverse the liver damage. Knowledge of a few key plants for a given region AND WHERE THEY ARE is essential. I once went on a botony class hike to a major park named for one indicator species.The class was dumbfounded at not seeing a single specimen-until the instructor pointed to the canyon faces we were passing ( another lesson in occasionaly looking behind you on a trek) to reveal thousands. Anecdotal information is just that. Ethnobotonies, flora guides etc. need to tell which part and when they can be eaten. A conquistadore found himself lost and opted for a quick suicide by poisoning. He boiled a porridge of a known deadly root. He survived, and sutained himself on it until returning to his base. It is a food still suspect to residents of hospitals. It is Tapioca pudding ;O)

#7956 - 08/07/02 05:23 PM Re: Plant tests
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
To comment on your post Chris. You made a very valid point about flora and fauna being different (even if similar looking) through many regions and how essential it is to know what are you being surrounded by. I grew up in Poland in high mountains where the only "vegetable" that we found in abundance were mushrooms. Since I was 2 years old until 10 (when I was brought to the US) every fall we would go out to pick them for the winter time. Yes even the most experienced pickers had problems and somebody always got poisoned every season but this is what I learned from my dad and elders:<br><br>- slice the mushroom and touch it with you tongue. If it burns it's poisonous.<br>- try sticking to mushrooms that have sponge under the hat instead of blades. <br>-stay away from mushrooms of wild colors<br>-stay away from mushrooms that animals or bugs don't touch<br><br>Mushroom picking is a dying art. Every time I go upstate (NY) hiking I bring a bag full of mushrooms for a delicious soup. But I only pick what I’m familiar with and know for sure. I would never pick something that looks kind of similar to what I know. I have to be 101% sure even if it means that I won’t bring home less than expected.<br><br>Matt<br><br>

#7957 - 08/08/02 03:10 AM Re: Plant tests
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a person were to slice the plant and rub the open end onto a small portion of their hand to see if a rash or something similar developed, would this also be effective? I would expect a toxic plant to have an adverse reaction to ones skin. However, I could be completely wrong about this.

#7958 - 08/08/02 11:50 PM Re: Plant tests
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
My Grandmother had a sure-fire test whenever her brother-in-law would deliver some fresh mushrooms he had just picked. She'e wait a day and call her sister, "Is Bud okay?" If he survivied she figured it was then safeto eat them!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.