Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#79478 - 12/08/06 08:21 PM Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Loc: Moved to my new home and now h...
This discussion started in another thread but I felt it deserved its own post.

I read in an article somewhere about how you could, if your boots get wet while in the winter snows, take them off and walk in the snow if you were wearing good wool socks, so that your feet would not freeze in your wet boots. I could not find the original article that I read, but I did find pretty much the same thing here at customwoolenmills.com, and a little bit more on it here at karamat.com.

Quote:
Excerpt from customwoolenmills.com article

Why are wool socks so good at keeping you comfortable? Wool has a tremendous capability of keeping you warm even if your socks are wet from sweat or outside moisture. In fact, it acts like a wetsuit. The moisture that is next to your skin becomes warm and helps to keep your feet at a comfortable temperature. Not only that, but wool socks will also wick away excessive moisture and allow it to move through the socks and away from your feet. We already knew these great properties of wool, but Mors took them and our socks a few steps further.

Contrary to what your best judgment and common sense might tell you, Mors recommends that you walk in your wool socks only, and without outer footwear if you have an emergency during the winter where your feet have been submerged in water. By leaving your boots on, there is no way for the water to escape, and it slowly makes your feet cold, or even frozen and frostbitten. By taking them off, however, the water will drain out of your wool socks and it will be wicked away by snow. The small moisture remaining will warm up to your body temperature and act as a wetsuit. In these conditions, Mors is actually wearing 3 pairs of wool socks, and the outer socks will start to freeze and form a "boot", while the inner pairs will keep you comfortable.

Words Mean Something.

#79479 - 12/08/06 08:49 PM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Never heard of this story, I don't know if it's true but it doesn't seem too logical to me.

I'm going on an overnight snowshoeing trip tomorrow, and i'm only taking Wigwam's "40 Below" wool socks. I'll keep everyone posted. Although I've tried different kinds of socks and fabric blends over the years, i'm starting to think that only thick wool socks have the ability to keep my feet DRY. Many other socks keep my warm, but not necessarily dry.

Have a great week-end !

#79480 - 12/08/06 09:19 PM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Found another reference from Mors Kochanski here (Same source as the other two) but this time its in a story..
Quote:
...Q - What’s your favourite survival story?

Mors - Well a good local story is that of a remote acquaintance of mine had. He had been out hunting and wasn’t paying attention. The next thing he knew it was dark and he was disorientated. He realised he couldn’t go any further, so he lit a fire but puts his matches naked into his pocket. His buddies miss him and drive to where they think he’s hunting and fire shots into the air, but they leave their engine running so they can’t hear his shots in reply over the engine noise. He assumes they must have heard his shots because they have stopped shooting. So he puts out his fire and heads in the direction of the shots he heard. He eventually comes to the place where his friends had lost patience and gone home because they couldn’t hear him. But now at least he has their tracks to follow. It’s incredibly cold and he tries to light another fire, but the first fire has melted the frost in his clothing so he is now damp and the matches he carelessly put in his pocket are now damp, the heads have gone soft so he was unable to light a second fire. He made it back by following the tracks but he lost his toes in the process. [color:"#666666"]He didn’t know he should take off his wet boots and walk in his wool socks.[/color] He didn’t know he shouldn’t carry matches in his pocket. His buddies didn’t know they should turn their engine off, they assumed they would hear gunshots over the engine. A little knowledge there would have saved him a lot of suffering.

That’s a good local story...

Words Mean Something.

#79481 - 12/08/06 09:37 PM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
obmeyer Offline

Loc: Fairfax County VA
Make sure your boots can take the thicker socks, or they may not be as effective if your feet are constricted in tight boots.

#79482 - 12/09/06 12:24 AM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
north_of_north Offline
Stranger

Loc: Gunflint Trail, Minnesota, USA
You wrote:

"I read in an article somewhere about how you could, if your boots get wet while in the winter snows, take them off and walk in the snow if you were wearing good wool socks, so that your feet would not freeze in your wet boots."

I think I understand. Instead of your feet freezing in your wet boots, they can just freeze right there in the snow as you walk around without boots. This sounds risky.

Perhaps time for a fire, or maybe better boots.

#79483 - 12/09/06 12:50 AM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
Perhaps one should take off the wet socks & get out a dry pair from the pack. If you have the type of pak boots with the felt liner, perhaps a spare pair of liners would be a good idea. I like the military "mickey mouse" boots. The insulation is sandwiched between 2 layers of rubber so that it cannot get wet.

#79484 - 12/09/06 01:31 AM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
While I am a big fan of wool socks and wear the regularly during the winter months if I was going to be exposed to snow and feared that my feet/socks would get wet I'd make sure I carried a spared dry pair of socks.

Edited by 91gdub (12/09/06 01:31 AM)

#79485 - 12/09/06 02:04 AM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Don't take this the wrong way, I don't know if it works because where I am, I can't try it (no snow) though if I was somewhere with a good layer of snow I might try it by slowly increasing the time I spent outside with one WET boot (like if it was dipped into a puddle) and one WET sock (same dipping) just so that I would know for sure.. but the point is, if it does work, and you knew, you would have something you could do..
Let me ask this, if your boot is soaked in the snow and for whatever reason you can't make a fire or stop to dry it out, do you think adding more dry socks and then puting your wet boot back on really help?
I put it this way because thats the way I heard it, not to forget about your boots and the like, because they work quite well when they are dry, but in case your boots got soaked while out in the snow... Oh, the article I read didn't say your feet would be warm, just warmer (warm being relitive), warm enough to better prevent damage... but like I said, I don't know, I've never tried it and I don't have any way (short of takeing a week off to go to the snow, which I can't afford) to try it.

Words Mean Something.

#79486 - 12/09/06 06:01 AM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
In snow covered areas, I always wore Bunny Boots if the temperatures were less than 10 degrees and Artic boots (w/wool inserts & regular socks).
Regardless of the footwear, if my boots got wet, I swapped socks (wet for dry) and put my boots on and kept doing business until the fresh pair of socks became damp (ie: cold) & then swapped them out again.
This is why I usually carry 6 pairs of socks w/me. I dry the used socks out by the fire when I stop @ night.

#79487 - 12/09/06 08:19 AM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I have seen someone put dry socks on and put foot in a plastic bag before stepping into the boot. That might keep your feet dryer a little longer, at least until the sweat builds up.

Never tried it myself though. No snow where I usually hike. And when my feet and boots do get wet, I try to air out and change socks or change into a pair of sandals without socks while the boots dry out. But sandals probably wouldn't work too well in the snow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (wileycoyote), 652 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.