Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#79488 - 12/10/06 03:38 AM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
This article sounds like someone's version of a poorly thought out 'good idea'.

Their version: "By leaving your boots on, there is no way for the water to escape, and it slowly makes your feet cold, or even frozen and frostbitten... Mors is actually wearing 3 pairs of wool socks, and the outer socks will start to freeze and form a "boot", while the inner pairs will keep you comfortable."

Okay, I'm reversing the above two sentences:

"Mors is actually wearing 3 pairs of wool socks, and the outer socks will start to freeze and form a "boot ... By leaving your boots on, there is no way for the water to escape, and it slowly makes your feet cold, or even frozen and frostbitten."

This sounds like a new version of the old harmful fairy tale of scrubbing frostbitten feet with more cold, wet snow.

I'll pass.

Sue

#79489 - 12/13/06 02:26 AM Re: Wear only wool socks in the snow!?
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Loc: Moved to my new home and now h...
Ok, I e-mailed Randy and Lori Breeuwsma of Karamat Wilderness Ways shortly after I started this thread asking for more information about the article about wearing only wool socks on their site and the following is what they sent in reply:

"Mors (Kochanski) has 4 DVD's out on Wilderness Skills and on the Clothing and Sleeping Bag DVD he talks about the wool socks, they need to be pure wool and he usually wears 3 pairs. It needs to be below freezing and -10 degrees Celcius (14 degree Fahrenheit) or colder is best and then he proceeds to step in the Lake water. If people don't believe that it works they are wrong. Many of the students on the winter course have done this and myself and my family have also tried this. People can purchase the DVD's on Wilderness Skills through Karamat Wilderness Ways and we also have other DVD's available on plant identification."

Words Mean Something.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 399 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.