Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7928 - 08/06/02 06:20 PM Shortwave Reception
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought a Grundig YB-400 a couple of weeks ago. I live in San Francisco. I have not been able to pick up a single good shortwave signal, despite the fact that I strung up 10 meters of external antenna. (All the "local" FM and AM stations come in fine)<br><br>Are shortwave signals this difficult to pick up in urban areas? Is my unit defective? Suggestions ?<br><br>I am going to take the receive out in the boonies on a mountaintop to test it when I have time . . .

#7929 - 08/06/02 09:47 PM Re: Shortwave Reception
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shortwave is dependent on time of day and what frequency you try to use at that particular time of day. Without trying to get into the specifics of radio propogation; try this. Tune to the 40 meter band after midnight and let it scan. <br> I havent listened to shortwave in a while so I will have to do a little reading to make sure I tell you everything with the proper terminology. Assuming someone else doesnt run with this first.

#7930 - 08/06/02 11:55 PM Re: Shortwave Reception
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
Long distqance shortwave signals are only able to be picked up so far from the broadcaster because the "sky-wave" signal is bounced off the upper parts of the atmosphere. The reflecting properties are badly affected by ionisation caused by sunlight and especially sunspot activity. What this means is that your best listening times are when the broadcaster and the receiver are both in darkness. Expect best reception from about 2 hours after last light to about 2 hours before first light. Try your local public library for books on SWL and radio theory.<br><br>Happy listening!

#7931 - 08/08/02 11:40 PM Re: Shortwave Reception
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try this site for what's available and when:<br><br>http://www.anarc.org/naswa/swlguide/<br><br>

#7932 - 08/09/02 04:07 PM Re: Shortwave Reception
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Don't dispair yet! There have been a number of solar flares around the date you posted. The bands went dead for several days.<br><br>Try it now and things should be rolling in. Be sure it is set on DX (distance) or it will be very "numb". <br><br>Listen to 10, 15, 20 & 25 mhz exactly for the W W V time signal. One of those should be hearable almost anytime.<br><br>If you don't hear anything, find a ham and compare what he/she can hear. You won't do as good with the YB, but it will pick up all the stronger stations. I have one and use is frequently. Good radio. Should perfom well unless you have a problem.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (MartinFocazio), 537 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.