Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7823 - 07/29/02 06:19 AM Re: EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My EDC compass is a watch. More often than not I wear a GMT watch, if I need direction I just reset the GMT hand to local time and then point the 12 hour hand at the sun; at that point the GMT hand will point north. If it's DST, then the next hour is north. <br><br>At night? Look for the Big Dipper, orient yourself so that the handle is pointing up, and keep it on your left side, and you're going roughly north. If you can't see the star because of weather, I'd be more worried about shelter than direction. If you can't see the stars because of city lights, ask directions.<br><br>That said, in colder weather I often wear a parka over my suit, and a Brunton Weather Eye is on the zipper.

#7824 - 07/29/02 06:37 AM Re: EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, as usual I have a silva water-filled button compass as part of my EDC. I am waiting to get my hands on one of those Benefons ESC! cellphones. They have a complete 12 channel GPS built in!!! Can't beat that for anywhere..either wilderness or city. I have a Casio with a digital compass as well.

#7825 - 07/29/02 01:51 PM Re: EDC Compass?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A real compass is one thing that no one ever has to be without. Forget magnetized needles, a button compass is so small and convenient to carry you can drop one into any pocket no matter what you are wearing and never even know it's there. Don't bother mounting it on anything, just throw it in with your change or whatever and forget about it. It might get a little scratched with pocket wear, but it will remain functional for many years. <br><br>I sealed mine into a tiny plastic bag along with my Micro Light to protect both from wear and water and to reduce the number of items I have to fish out of my pockets at the end of the day, but that is not necessary. <br><br>Aside from being a good survival item, it's also useful on a day-to-day basis.

#7826 - 08/27/02 03:54 PM Compass in watch band
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a way to carry a button compass that won't take up extra space in your pockets. <br><br>For a picture of the watch band and ordering, click here. <br><br>I've always thought these were a bit geeky, and most I've seen are of poor quality, but this one looks pretty good, so I think I will order one for my beater watch and see how it is.

#7827 - 08/27/02 07:08 PM Re: Compass in watch band
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let us know how it is. I like the look of it.<br><br><br>Chris

#7828 - 08/27/02 08:31 PM Re: Compass in watch band
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks.. for "sports" wear where image is not a factor, like a boat trip I went on Sunday, I wear a Suunto Yachtsman that has a compass and barometer built in. It's big, but it's very lightweight, and the rounded contours make it interfere with clothing and cuffs less than some much smaller watches.<br><br>I don' t think the concept of a watchband compass of any kind is likely to go over well at the office... besides, I rotate three "dress" watches. I currently have a compass attached to a zipper on a shoulder pouch, but I only carry it for the commute, not for nearby meetings or lunches, etc.<br><br>I still think I may try to find a decent lighter with a compass, as that wouldn't add to the number of things I'm keeping track of. Seems like there should be something else I routinely carry that I could mount a button compass on or in, but if there is, I'm missing it.<br>

#7829 - 08/28/02 01:07 AM Re: Compass in watch band
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not a lighter and compass, but Cabellas sells a waterproof brass match container with a compass in the lid, as well as a black aluminum with same. Price is about 20.00 for either model.

#7830 - 08/28/02 02:52 AM Re: Compass in watch band
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I like the look of the timex strap with the compass.<br>I have a timex watch reef gear i-control but it is not a very hardy watch. The control ring fell off the watch face! I certainly hope the compass is more reliable!<br><br>I have a silva SERE compass in my kit which can be attached to a watch strap. You can see a picture of it here <br><br>My daily urban carry kit has the other silva SERE 40 like the one shown here sere40 <br><br>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.