We've discussed practically every piece of equipment for every day carry, but I rarely hear of anyone carrying a compass as part of every day wear, or how they do it. I carry a serious compass and a back up for wilderness trips, but I sure don't carry them every day.<br><br>I have one of those Brunton survival card kits that includes a tiny plastic compass disk intended to float (by surface tension, it's not buoyant) on water. I have to admit I'm pretty skeptical- clearly, this isn't going to work at all if you're in a hurry, in the wind, hard rain, or in the dark, or if you just don't have water handy, and it is so small that, detached from the card it came on, it would be hard NOT to lose it even in a shirt pocket... but it's the only compass I've seen that can be carried in a wallet. Almost exactly the same objections apply to the magnetized needle idea- it would certainly fit in a wallet, but either floating it or hanging it by a thread will often range from very inconvenient to impossible depending on conditions.<br><br>(As an aside- I wonder if you could cut something from the magnetic strip area of an old credit card, magnetize it (or, more accurately, re-magnetize it uniformly), and get similar functionality? Just a thought). <br><br>I personally often find a small compass handy even in the city.. maybe even more often in the city, because line-of-sight is so often limited. I'd like to have a convenient way to have one on my person routinely.<br><br>I've seen butane lighters with compasses built in- most would seem, from the price at least, to be of suspect quality for either role... but I may try it. I've also seen key-fob compasses, but all that I've run across are either inconveniently large (brass ships-wheel ornaments with a compass hubs in nautical stores, thermometer-compass fobs in outdoor stores) or very cheap and fragile looking... and I worry about the wisdom of attaching a compass to a bunch of metal keys and such. Besides, anything carried with the keys wears badly.<br><br>Anyone got a better solution, something that's not bulky, out of the way, but easy to use when you need it?