Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7766 - 07/25/02 01:15 PM walking sticks
Anonymous
Unregistered

As I have been walking around the forest this week, I have been considering making myself a walking stick with a boathook on the end. My thinking is that it could be used to pull limbs down, trap snakes, a forked stick for pistol hunting, etc. I would hate to fall on it though. Of course, I would hate to fall on a fallen pine tree also. The effect would be the same. Any thoughts?

#7767 - 07/25/02 06:41 PM Re: walking sticks
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
David,<br><br>Em, I'm having a hard time picturing what you're describing. I keep seeing double-ended poles in front of me... perhaps I don't understand what you mean by "boat hook". Perhaps you have something like a pike pole in mind for one end or???<br><br>Don't need a forked rest for a pistol, although you'd especially have to mind your Ps and Qs if you're supporting a revolver with the weak hand on the side of the pole. Otherwise no real advantage to a fork - it's still a monopod, and using a fork locks you in to a specific "elevation" on the rest - would it be right for standing on level ground, kneeling, facing uphill... you get the picture. The side of a straight staff offers infinitely and instantly variable rest elevations. There is a method for using a fork that way, but it's awkward and not usable in a number of situations.<br><br>Lots of fancy walking aids developed over the years. I get twitchy about "sophisticating" some once in a while, but so far have managed to resist. A plain old head-height-plus 6"-12" sturdy staff that's not too heavy is hard to beat for utility and adaptability.<br><br>Others here have good things to say about various commercial treking poles, and I'm sure they have multiple uses as well. I do note that most of them, particularly the variable-length ones, will not stand up well to the extreme bending moment applied when used as a fast-water fording aid, but they have many other features that one may conclude outweigh that sort of weakness.<br><br>Tom

#7768 - 07/25/02 10:46 PM Re: walking sticks
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I recently looked up the walking stick favored in Colin Fletchers new Complete Walker IV. It has a removable Vee shaped rest to convert the stick to a rifle rest. See it here Stoney Point .<br>These folks also make crossed shooting sticks and other sticks.<br><br>I am not sure you want the high tech approach but this place also sells a tree saw attachment! With the camera mount screw in the top you can just about make anything to attach and change the function of the stick.<br><br>If you are going to make your own stick, you may want to consider placing a 1/4" x 20 bolt in the top to use as an attachment point for various other things.<br><br>and since you did not ask...........<br>My absolute favorite Walking Stick is made from the center rib of a Palm Frond. It is light, the frond is bamboo-like but solid wood, not hollow. It has absolutely no attachment capability or multi-function use. Just pure pleasure to walk with. I added a copper foot to prevent wear and a braided leather wrist loop.<br><br>

#7769 - 07/26/02 01:57 AM Re: walking sticks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like a functional idea. You might consider installing it at the top of your pole since a boat hook will be considerably smaller in diameter than the pole. This will cause it to sink into the earth quite easily. The controlled pushing and pulling of an object would definately be an advantage, and not to mention if someone needs a hand out of the water. Would look a little unusual, but very handy.<br>

#7770 - 07/26/02 02:22 AM Re: walking sticks
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Hi,<br> You might want to check out ranger rick's take on a DIY walking stick here :<br><br> Ranger Rick's Walking Stick <br><br>

#7771 - 07/26/02 03:19 AM Re: walking sticks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thats neat.

#7772 - 07/26/02 01:55 PM Re: walking sticks
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>I added a copper foot to prevent wear and a braided leather wrist loop.<<<<br><br>I like the copper pipe cap idea. But I'd like to have it threaded to add tips, mostly rubber feet for when I use it indoors. Then switch to a more outdoor configuration (point?) for hiking. I tried a tap on rubber foot, but it fell off in short order. BTW, I use the staff indoors at Scouting events and ceremonies. It has medallions, beads, baiding and carvings that drawn attention. I think of it as my "story" stick as I'm able to use it to lead into a vast treasury of tales and sage-like wisdom! . Anyone have suggestions?<br><br>What follows is a lengthy description of the staff for those that are interested. If not, you can stop reading now!<br><br>My stick is a stout 5-foot limb of basswood. It's approx. 3" diameter at its greatest thickness, but the basswood is remarkably light and most folks are surprised how light it really is. <br><br>I found it just off the shore of Lake Owasippe, near the Camp Stuart waterfront used to be when I camped and worked there as a youth/young man. The are ais now a subdivision of nearby Whitehall, MI., so the staff has a great sentimental value. (questions of "where did you find it" open the door for a whole buch of old camp stories.)<br><br>I picked it up almost 20 years ago and lugged it with me through two house moves. Each time my wife questioned my sanity for packing a "stick." I had intentions of turning it into a hiking staff, but never found time.<br><br>Four years ago, when my son joined scouting, I finally started work on it. I whittled down the bumps where small branches once jutted out and also carved slight indentations for a grip to match my hand. The surface has tracings criss-crossing it where boaring insects ate just under the bark. The entire length is covered by these tiny channels or grooves. I applied an light oak colored stain. I anticipated the grooves to soak up the stain and get real dark, but the opposite happened. The insect's chewing polished the grooves so they resisted the stain. So they jump out in a veryu light color. Folks often ask how I carves "all those hirogliphics." (I now can add stories about insect life and symbiotic relationships.) I used a water soluable polyurathane as a finish, but the tip has clouded up from moisture from crossing creeks or bogs. BTW, having a staff for a third point on the ground really adds stability while crossing log footbridges!<br><br>At summer camp that year I started to carve the top. I had always envisioned it as a hand held in the three fingered scout sign. So that's what I did. It was my first and only attempt at woodcarving and it turned out remarkably well. (I can add stories about carving and that summer camp, Tesomas)<br><br>I braided a band accross the top and a separate wrist strap out of the cotton string I dyed using natural dyes (summac leaves and berries, mushroom, onion skins and rusty nails). The band has small braided tassels I use to add pony beads for each scout outing I participate. The wrist strap I first braided the sting into a cord using a round braid. Then I braided it into a rope using the round braid again, and fiinshed it off with a square braid back over the beginning. It's the same technique used for a whistle lanyard out of plastic craftstrip that lifeguards seem to favor. I started the braid on a split ring that I have attached to the staff via a screw and a small copper strap. It's sucure enough but won't hold a great deal of weight. (Add stories on natural dying, the plants used and braiding.)<br><br>The medalions are mostly scout and trip related. BSA sellls hiking staff madalions. I have the Scout emblem, Life rank, Order of the Arrow, National Camping School and one from one of the summer camps we attended. I've also added flattened pennys. One was given to me upon completion of Scoutmaster Fundimentals training. It has the scout oath impressed upon it. Others are from trips, such as the Lincoln Park Zoo, where went on a day outing in February several years ago. (Add tons of stories. My favorite is to point out that I only reached Life rank and that they should avoid my mistakes and and do better by reaching Eagle.).<br><br>I'd also like to add a clip of some fashion that I could use to attach a baseball cap or hat chin strap. But I don't want something clunky or that will scatch up the surface..

#7773 - 07/26/02 09:26 PM Re: walking sticks
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Bill,<br><br>It has always interested me that my walking sticks seem to invoke more memories and tales than just about any other piece of gear. While none of mine are as well adorned as your stick, I still know their origin, their walks, and their idiosyncrasies.<br><br>I have several nice ready-made sticks but find that the ones I have made or at least modified are the ones that travel.<br><br>My copper tip is fairly basic. I took a 3/4" copper straight joint and soldered a reducing bushing in one end (3/4-1/2"). Then hammered it into an oval, split the top portion and hammered it to nearly fit the ovoid shaped stick tip. I attached it with silicone and let it bulge out the reducing bushing on the bottom to form a sort of silicone bump pad. I then filed shallow grooves in the copper base for traction. <br><br>I never even thought to try and make a threaded tip to make different ends. I may have to try this on a long piece of Rattan I recently acquired.<br>

#7774 - 07/27/02 08:46 PM Re: walking sticks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Id like to see a pic of that stick...being I live in the Fl Keys..we have lots of palm frons around

#7775 - 07/29/02 07:12 PM Re: walking sticks
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

KeyLargo,<br><br>Unfortunately, I have not yet entered the digital age for photos. I will try and borrow one and take a snap of this stick. I do not know the type of palm tree this was made from but the stick is sectioned in four distinct steps of increasing wood size. The bottom section is about 3/4" and the very top is about 2". The section you hold is about 1.25-1.5". All the sections are ovoid in crosssection. The wood is very smooth and sort of bamboo like. Hopefully I can get a photo posted as it would be easy to make if you had the same sort of palms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 424 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.