Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#77655 - 12/10/06 01:49 AM Re: Survival Food (Pemmican...longer post)
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I just remembered reading that back in the frontier days of the US, folks used to survive on food called hominy - corn flour, if memory serves me well. The way I remember reading about this is, they would take it with water as a draft, and it would keep them feeling full for days on end.

#77656 - 12/10/06 02:20 AM Re: Survival Food (Pemmican...longer post)
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Loc: Moved to my new home and now h...
Ground up hominy in water? Sounds a lot like Grits.

Words Mean Something.

#77657 - 12/10/06 03:31 AM Re: Survival Food (Jerky..longer post)
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

wouldn't it be easier just to buy jerky meat from a wholesale vendor? are commercial jerky meat tasty and nutritrious?

I don't have the skills or time to make jerky meat.

#77658 - 12/10/06 03:57 AM Re: Survival Food (Jerky..longer post)
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Loc: Moved to my new home and now h...
Quote:
wouldn't it be easier just to buy jerky meat from a wholesale vendor? are commercial jerky meat tasty and nutritrious?

Modern commercial jerky is high in sodium, usually because of the jerking process they use, which will require more water to keep you hydrated, which might be a limited resource if your useing jerky as a survival food.. it also looses a lot of its food value, again because of the jerking process..
This method of jerking meat is the old way, the most basic.. I know it doesn't pick up salt or loose a lot of the food value of the meat during the process.. I imagine that you could get nearly the same results if you were to use a dehydrator, as long as it didn't involve cooking the meat or removeing the water in the meat by salts or other chemiclas.. you may even be able to wrap the strips of meat in canvas or muslin, put them on the a bakeing sheet and on low heat put them in the oven with the door cracked.. don't cook them though..
Please note though, I've never tried it those ways, so I don't know for sure, but the book did mention hanging the meat from the tipi poles during inclement weather, remember there are fires inside tipis, so I guess it would work like the oven.

Words Mean Something.

#77659 - 12/10/06 08:40 PM Re: Survival Food
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I noticed that you sell Datrex Blue Rations on your site, Redflare. I was thinking about picking up quite a bit, but how much space it would take up in my car is going to be a determining factor in the amount because I still need to carry emergency gear along with whatever else I pack for a trip.

Is there any way you might know the size of one 3600kcal package in inches off the top of your head, or could I convince you to measure one?

Thanks for any help. It's appreciated.

Edited by Nicodemus (12/10/06 08:48 PM)

#77660 - 12/11/06 08:20 AM Re: Survival Food
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Datrex blue rations weigh 700 grams per 3600 Kcal package.

You might read my post on the main forum under "Emergency Rations - Info Please".

#77661 - 12/11/06 10:32 AM Re: Survival Food
redflare Offline
Addict

Malcontent from the other thread posted the dimensions. Thanks Malcontent!
Quote:
The blue Datrex rations packs are about 4-3/8" x 3-5/8" x 2-1/2".

#77662 - 12/12/06 01:15 AM Re: Survival Food (Pemmican...longer post)
Old_Scout Offline
journeyman

Loc: Delaware
Quote:
folks used to survive on food called hominy - corn flour

What your referring too is probably not hominy. Hominy is corn that has been hulled and treated with lye, steamed then dried, and if ground is hominy grits (or just grits). The pioneers corn flour which is dried corn (best is sweet corn) then ground. Indians invented it. Cope's dried sweet corn (the modern version) is delicious rehydrated, then cooked to like a mush or pudding. Check it out - http://www.copefoods.com/

"Be Prepared" "For what?" "Why, any old thing!" B-P

#77663 - 12/12/06 06:58 AM Re: Survival Food (Pemmican...longer post)
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I haven't tried this yet, but hear that parched corn is a fantastic old time survival food. It supposedly keeps for a long time, is nutritious, provides fiber, and a handful can keep you going for a while. It was a favorite of the American Indians.

#77664 - 12/12/06 10:55 AM Ground corn
redflare Offline
Addict

Quote:
I haven't tried this yet, but hear that parched corn is a fantastic old time survival food. It supposedly keeps for a long time, is nutritious, provides fiber, and a handful can keep you going for a while. It was a favorite of the American Indians.

Yes this is what I was refering to! I just don't remember the details on how to make this survival food.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 399 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.