Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#76721 - 11/22/06 06:50 AM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
Anonymous
Unregistered

i listen but i dont think your listening either.dont tell me what i know or dont know, you dont know squat about me or what i know so dont question my knowledge. yes hooray for you all and your expert knowledge on attack dogs, im proud you all further your knowledge on such subjects. you are blowing this thing way out of proportion,it was a simple discussion and now its just stupid.
plus this was no little love nip from the chow.so stop the prejudgement of what happen please.you know nothing about what happen in that situation and i dont have to explain myself and what happen to complete strangers.

so stop acting like you know everything about me ,cause your not even close. i wanted to make peace with you but it seems like you dont want to. i was also referring to blast too.
i still respect your opinion and God Bless.How do you know that in not listening to you?huh?you dont know.i spoke my opinion as did you.i heard you and analyzed and i understand what your trying to say.

I still respect everyones opinion and God Bless.
This is all water under the bridge now.I dont want to argue anymore over some stupid discussion that should of ended a long time ago and that was blown out of proportion because i spoke my opinion.this discussion has gone off topic too much and needs to be back on topic.this topic doesnt even concern me that much as do other topics,i dont even care about it that much as much you all do. I spoke my opinion and thats it.End of story!

Edited by supermark (11/22/06 07:32 AM)

#76722 - 11/22/06 08:05 AM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Re: that dog attack in Houston:

'The boy's mother heard her son's screams and ran outside to find him being attacked by the pit bulls...

'...Pedro was playing with his 2-year-old brother in a cul-de-sac near their home... '

Irresponsible dog owners + irresponsible parents ... what a great recipe for disaster.

This woman didn't have a clue as to where her two little kids were, or what they were doing, or what dangers they were facing. They could just as easily have been picked up by child molesters or run over by a car. If the kids hadn't screamed, how long would it have taken her to realize that something was wrong? Hours?

If parents want to reduce the chances of their kids (esp toddlers) drowning, getting kidnapped, injured or killed, then they're going to have to take some responsibility for them, aren't they?

The victims of most dog attacks are children 10 and younger, with 2 years of age being the optimum (!) age for dog attacks. Most of the victims have been left alone with the dogs.

When something happens to a child, the one sentence that you hear over and over is: "But I just left him alone for a couple of seconds". And it's a lie. The number of parents who have no idea where their little kids are at any given moment is astounding.

If parents don't want their child attacked by dogs, try this:

1 - Don't leave your child alone with your dog, the neighbor's dog, or ANY dog.

2 - Teach your children not to abuse dogs. I wonder how many dog bites started with a pulled ear or tail?

3 - Teach your children not to run up to any dog, strange dogs especially. I am constantly amazed how often the idiot parents allow and encourage this.

4 - Got a dog? Get it spayed or neutered. Most dogs who attack are unneutered males. Don't want to neuter the poor little guy? Try growing a brain -- no one is suggesting YOU get neutered.

5 - Know your local dangers. Got neighbors with pits or rotties or other aggressive dogs? Tell them that the first time their dog gets into your yard, he's dead, and all the crying and whining isn't going to bring him back.

6 - Keep your children confined to your property. Got a fence? Use it and childproof the gates. Don't have one? Install one. Can't install one due to covenants? Move.

7 - Know where your kids are... ALL the time. They've learned how to open the front door? Install a chain lock and use it religiously.

8 - Live in CA or TX? They're the #1 and #2 dog attack/fatality states in the entire country, and have been since 1965.

Most dog attacks of children are preventable... their parents just didn't care enough to do the job.

Sue

#76723 - 11/23/06 03:16 AM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
You go girl!!!

I agree that irresponsible parents are just as guilty of child abuse as irresponsible pet owners are of animal abuse. Neglect, in either case, is just as bad as deliberate acts of violence or deprivation.

The only thing to change in the past two hundred years regarding the security of our communities is the perpetuation of the illusion that our community and our home is in fact secure. For some reason, there are an ever greater number of us who seem to think that an ordered community is inherently safe. That assumption may actually have just the opposite effect.

Good cue on perspective there Susan!

#76724 - 11/23/06 04:20 PM Re: Dog Attack.
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
1. Disengage if you can.
2. If not, warning shot - if you have time. This usually spooks the dog off.
3. Dog continues to be aggressive - one shot, center of mass.
4. High-tail it out of the immediate vicinity and call police from another location. Removes you from aggressive owner, lets LEO handle the situation of the dog attack/ shot being fired. 5. Tell police the truth - cooperate, you've done nothing wrong if your state allows you to protect yourself with a firearm, carry concealed, etc. If your state does not allow you to protect yourself with a firearm, move to one that does - the crime rate will be much lower there!

By the way - take your weapon and put it away (in your car, house, etc.) before police arrive so they don't shoot the "man with the gun" ! They may want it later, but that's fine. You may need a lawyer - YMMV.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.