Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#76711 - 11/21/06 10:46 PM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I was just quoting you. Your posts gave a strong indication that you thought being attacked by a dog was no big deal and that killing an attacking dog was wrong. For instance:
Quote:
i dont think its neccesary to shoot a dog,and if it was my dog that was shot well(which hed never would cause he's a good boy ) id have to kill someone. if u had some food you could distract him, ive been bit by dogs before by accident and i lived, its not like your gonna get killed unless its Cujo or ur a wuss

Basically, I'm trying to get you to "think outside the box" to borrow a very tired phrase. Not everyone is a "bad MF" out of a Voodoo Skulls song. Your experiences make you think that dog attacks are rare and simple to handle. In reality much evidence states otherwise.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#76712 - 11/21/06 11:03 PM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
Anonymous
Unregistered

attacking a dog under certain situations....it all depends.i know someone who said if a dog ever came running toward him,he'd shoot and kill it. thats not the way i think....the way he nadles thing are rash. i know it sounds odd and cocky but i know how to handle dogs...yes even some wild ones. i can make them calm down. but if a dog is coming at me and clearly is looking to take a chomp or two then im ready to defend myself. i wont kill the dog but subdue him and let animal control handle it.i dont like hurting animals so thats why i would do that...killing a dog....idk if i could kill one unless someone i knew was about to die or some other extreme situation.i dont want to blow the dogs brains out though.

and i know how to think outside the box:in any type of discussion i believe its important to see all sides of the story even if it means proving myself wrong.

i respect your opinon and understand what your saying.

#76713 - 11/22/06 12:06 AM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
This adult wasn't "...able to defend themselves..."

In a one on one (or more, if you are really unlucky, as this woman was) fight, the average adult will come out second best to a 100+ pound dog. But you are welcome to your opinion and belief...

#76714 - 11/22/06 12:18 AM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
Anonymous
Unregistered

i know the adult wasnt able to.

Quote:
But you are welcome to your opinion and belief...

you are too.and i respect everyones

#76715 - 11/22/06 04:08 AM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
Lance_952 Offline

I like dogs, but growing up on a farm I have had to put more then my fair share down for a long list of reasons. One of the things that really griped my back side was when the “city” people would get tired of their dog or it would start to get “mean” and they would dump it. It is truly amazing how fast a domesticated dog will revert back to its hard wired behavior and start to hunt in packs and start to bring down livestock.
The local sheriffs department would do nothing about it but make out a report and tell you tuff luck.

When I got new neighbors who had a pit-bull I was less then thrilled. When they would let the dog out it would come over to my yard and stand on my porch and bark at us in the house. After making several complaints to John Q Law and being told that they could do nothing unless the dog bit one of us, I spoke with the neighbor. After a few weeks of not seeing the dog I figured that they had got rid of it, but Ohhh no they just stopped letting it out to heed Mother Nature’s call. All last winter I did not see the dog and then this spring their it was, back in my yard crapping and on my porch barking. So I talked to them again and was told it was a good dog, that it was real friendly and would “never bite” to cut this short when the dog had my kids on top of their swing set growling and jumping up trying to bite them I shot the dog.

I don’t think they were happy when I did it due to the fact they were out side standing there, and when I pulled it over to their yard so they could dispose of it I was called a long list of obstinacies and a murder (which made me laugh) So now to the moral of the story, I don’t want to have to kill some dog, but when it comes to the value of a human life, my kids, mine or any one else the dog will lose.

As for subduing the dog not a chance unless you think lead is a for of subduing .
That’s why animal control officers use long catch poles, so they don’t have to get that close, and most of the time there is an officer ready to shoot the dog if it gets to “out of control”

#76716 - 11/22/06 04:10 AM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Supermark, you are making yourself look bad.

Have you ever watched what a police canine can do? That is an animal who's instincts have been trained DOWN. They aren't trained in how to take someone down, that is instict, but they are trained to control it and to just hold on when they have you down, rather than going for your face or throat or belly. K9s are a lot more mellow than your average house dog.

I would say that you should spend some time in the dummy suit as part of K9 training. And remember that the dog that is using you as a tackling dummy is a trained professional who is conditioned to not kill. The typical dog that attacks is untrained and is unconditioned, there is no "slow", there is no "stop", there is no "wait for the command to take them down", there is simply "kill". Kill at all costs, no stopping, no slowing, no waiting, that is how canines attack. It isn't going to pull you down and go back to it's handler, an "amature" is going to pull you down and try to tear out your throat.

I think you need to spend some time around dogs, and I don't mean the inbreed show pooches that are smaller than my cat. A single feral dog (ie, domesticate but no longer living with humans) can cripple a cow or horse in a few minutes, and they can run faster than we humans can, kick a lot harder and are a lot thicker skinned. Ignoring that fact is living in a dream world.

As for not carring what the statistics say, you obviously are ignorant of the fact that stats reflect the behaviors of a system or process. You can use them to bend the truth, true, but you can't lie with them.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#76717 - 11/22/06 04:19 AM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
Anonymous
Unregistered

dude whatever. u have no idea

idk why u keep doing this anyway. i said i respect your opinion and i dont go attacking your views, you are the one who started attacking anyway. and thats it. were arguing over something stupid and wasting valuable space on these forums. ive seen the ugly side of dogs believe me, i used to do volunteer work at a vet clinic and what i saw sometimes wasnt pretty and seen/heard stuff that no one should know.ive been around giant dogs that wanna rip my arm off because the stupid owner didnt give a crap about the dog and turned the dog into a beast.all i said was my opinion and thats it if you dont like it than deal with it, cause im not going to attack your opinion because i respect your opinions, you do what you do with dog attacks and ill do what i do.yes dog attacks happen ,i look at the stats and analyze them so i can see your opininon, and i see what your trying to get across.

One more thing, all this is just water under the bridge. So I dont want to escalate this like so many other forums on the net do.So now im going to go back to these forums and talk about survial and prepardness and chat with all the members,so we can futher the knowledge we have on all the subjects. So I respect your opinion , ive seen your views and stats and God Bless You All.

Edited by supermark (11/22/06 05:00 AM)

#76718 - 11/22/06 05:42 AM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
In your experience, it may be that the dogs you've encountered and dealt with would lead you to make such a general statement that you could handle and control any dog attack. Unless you are built like a 500 lb gorilla with 6 inch fangs, I must inform you that there are many dogs out there that you would positively not be able to control, that would probably kill you inside of 15 seconds, or make you wish you were dead by then. I've met some, and I can't imagine anyone who could stand up to them were they triggered for an attack.

Until you've seen the full on capabilities of dogs that are bred and trained to attack humans, you really can't make such a claim, and having met some of them, I have a seriously difficult time believing the veracity of such statements. The facts simply indicate to the contrary.

If a fighting dog really wants to take you apart and he has the jump on you, he's going to have his way, and there's really nothing you can do about it. That is not opinion my friend, it is fact.

#76719 - 11/22/06 06:32 AM Re: Dog Attack. 4yr old killed in Houston today
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

One, I think you are confusing me with Blast.

Two, don't "dude" me, boy. I am not one of your "peeps" or "hommies" or anything even remotely close.

I am telling you these things becuase you seem to be operating under some very dangerous delusions. Dangerous not only to yourself, but to others should you ever have children. If you don't want to listen, that's fine. But when OBG talks about dogs, you should listen, he's seen police trained dogs up close; Benjammin has seen the military version. I've watch dogs running deer, attack horses, seen the aftermath of them attacking sheep and cows, and have a very nice set of scars on my ankle from one that took a lot of convincing (ie, kicks to the head) to let go of my boot while my foot was still in it. And that doesn't include the rabid feral that needed three loads of buckshot to stop charging and a fourth to finally stop trying and just die, which is enough to stop pretty much any human. (BTW, before you question my accuracy, when the report got back to me, the warden pointed out that not only were there three wads in the critter, but that it is easier to run the tests if there isn't lead in the skull.)

So I think my "whatever" is worth a lot more than your cousin getting a love nip from a chow that was easily chased off. If the chow had been serious, it wouldn't have been chased off. It is like comparing bumper cars to a being in multi-car pileup.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#76720 - 11/22/06 06:44 AM Re: Dog Attack.
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Interesting numbers, but you are only looking at fatalities. Does the report also include perminant, serious injury? Those numbers should be listed; being blinded, or losing a hand, or half your face, or having major nerve and muscle damage in your leg or arm is more traumatizing in the long run than dieing is.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.