Try "Tom Brown's guide to city and urban survival". It has plenty of good info for staying warm in the city.

Be aware there are two types of kerosene heaters, convection and radiant. The convection heaters are designed to heat air and are ideal for small to modest sized enclosed areas (house, garage). The other type is radiant and is most efficient at producing infra red heat. These heaters heat objects and people that are in front of the reflector. These are optimized for outdoors or areas so large that heating the air is impractical (such as a large warehouse). You will see radiant style heaters above the cashiers at Home Depot in winter. Portable electric and propane heaters also fit these same categories. As a general rule, radiant heaters have polished reflectors in the rear.

I learned these lessons the hard way. When I was going to school I lived in a small travel trailer. I had a portable electric radiant heater that ran at all times I was in the trailer in winter. I froze unless I was sitting directly in front of the bloody thing all the time.

Later as an adult, I bought a radiant kerosene heater for my garage to make it more comfortable to work in during winter. Again, I had the heater running for hours, but never really did much good unless I was standing in front of it.

I finally did a bit of research and figured out I was using the wrong tool. I dumped the kerosene radiant heater and purchased a kerosene convection heater. Amazing! The garage was toasty warm in 20-30 minutes. I dislike the smell of burning kerosene, so I later picked up a convection propane heater. Fifteen minutes and I am sweating. No more odor either. I typically end up turning the heater off now so I don't overheat.

I will say that it typically takes a bit more leg work to find convection heaters, but the difference is profound for indoor use. For outdoors, the typical solution is a radiant heater. Everyone just huddles in front of it and gets warm on one side. On a winter Cub Scout hike last year I drug along my propane convection heater. It is quite small, only about 1 square foot. I fired it up on low and allowed the cubs to warm their hands on the warm air rising above it. I performed this job superbly.

Make sure you use the right tool for the job.

Cheers, TR