I couldn't agree more with this post. I used the Ritter PSP then added the items useful for my local environment. For example, I took the fishing kit out for day-to-day use (I live near Dallas, TX.) I don't plan to fish if commuting back and forth to work. However, I add it to the BOB.

Most of my enjoyment comes from trying out new gear options and tweaking kit. For the price, the Ritter kit (with mirror, firestarter, whistle, surgical blade, mini-compass, et al) is an inexpensive start to any PSP.

I've found the same results with FAKs. I've bought a small commercial FAK and added materials and deleted others (most contain band-aids that are too small and of poor quality.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I agree to build your own, but I personally believe it should be built on top of the Ritter kit (the Pocket Survival Pak) as mentioned by Jim. The mirror, whistle and fire starter is already worth $25.. I was building it separately until I realized building my own used those same three items...So it was cheaper to get the Pak, and then add to it/move to a different container, etc.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++