Thanks guys for the feedback.

I tried to find old Jaz or hard drives but was unsuccessful in my attempts so far. The CDs are a temporary band-aid. I have about 2-3 weeks before going over this stuff with the girls. Hopefully I can find better alternatives for signalling.

I am asking the parents to put whatever meds and snacks they feel is appropriate. I don't really want to go there because I know there is at least one girl with certain allergies.

I am in the process of putting a picture story book together for the girls. It will be a collaboration with them in about 2-3 weeks and will have pictures - and we will also talk about it - about staying put, signalling etc. I figure if I have it figured out and they can input parts of the story, like names, it will be more memorable for them. I was also thinking of having them play out the different things they will need to learn with parental involvement. For example, to stay put, we can say "hug a tree" and the parent can be the tree.

The compasses are not for them to use while hiking but more for controlled direction finding type games to do in a park or back yard. They will be told to stay put and on the trail.

Please keep the suggestions and ideas coming. I still have a little time to finish getting everything ready.

As for the cost, I have no idea. My best guess would be about $50 each. And of course, as I am gearing up the kids, I am buying more stuff for myself too. Sheesh. Also, going through this process, my wife has agreed to get equipped and carry her PSK as well. So I am putting kits together for her. But that will be another post.