Quote:
In the end, I think I'd rather stick to a smaller folding knife for working on game and carry a larger fixed blade like a Swamp Rat.

Hey ratbert, your post brought back memories of when I took my hunter education class years ago. We were shown a video of this grandpa who had to have been at least in his 70's taking his granddaughter hunting. She had to have been no more than in her teens.

Anyway, she shot an Axis deer on Molokai and he busted out this tiny folder. It didn't even look like a lockblade and it couldn't have been more than a 3 inch blade. In the field, he gutted it and cutting slits in the foreleg right above the hoofs and twisting the joint, turned it into a backpack to carry the deer out. He did all of this in 1-2 minutes. I was really impressed until they got home.

In the back yard, using the same little knife, he skinned and quartered the animal and got the quarters hanging on meat hooks in what seemed like less than 5 minutes.

Boy, I really believe the saying that it is easy when you know how. And he had LOTS of experience. Then we had venison jerky that one of the instructors made from the deer he bagged. Great 2-3 day class! I can't even remember how many days it was now.