Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7290 - 07/04/02 10:32 PM Adventure Medical Kits "The Essentials"
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
Allow me to add my thoughts on a PSK. I recently purchased one of Adventure Medical Kits "The Essentials" to use as my primary PSK. Along with first aid supplies, it came with:<br><br>-emergency survival blanket (their brand - with survival instructions printed on it - I haven't tried to unfold it yet to read them - too scared of having to fold it back up I guess)<br>-Brunton 9041 Glo-Mate compass (I replaced this with a Silva Landmark compass - partly out of personal preference and partly to include a mirror for signalling)<br>-Fox 40 whistle (yes, they're really loud - I tested it out in the truck on the way home - not a recommended way to do that)<br>-Storm waterproof/windproof matches (box of 25 - I plan to add a small lighter)<br>-tinder fire starter (only one parrafin impregnated ball of goo - I added a Sparklite fire starter with 7 tinders - I'll add more when I get them in)<br><br>In addition, I added:<br><br>-25 feet of paracord<br>-a Tacoma Mtn. Rescue Storm Shelter tube tent<br>-a Mag-lite solitaire flashlight<br>-a CRKT Pikes Peak knife<br>-a BCB wire saw<br><br>The whole thing comes in a soft-sided case measuring about 5" X 7" X 1 1/2" and weighs in at a bit more than one pound. This fits well in my cruiser's vest or in a hip-pack if I'm not working.<br><br>I'm sure I'll fiddle with the contents of the first aid kit. It came with latex gloves which I figure might be used in place of a condom for water carry (I'm planning on trying that out soon).<br><br>I can't help but think there's something more I should include. I'm mainly in the "sunny" Pacific Northwest so some things won't be necessary. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.<br>

#7291 - 07/05/02 03:33 AM Re: Adventure Medical Kits "The Essentials"
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Forester, My observations are taken from time in the Headwaters Forest. Are you in an area subject to slash burning with diesel or herbicides? We found many water sources heavily polluted and water filters are a neccessity. Is your tube tent a bright color? My orange garbage bags are outstanding for air to ground observation. I am beginning to wish paracord came in international orange! I dropped my Sparklite once,and made it a point to secure the orange version. It will be interesting to see the magnitude of the next El Nino phenomenon. After the last one, quality clothing became my first and foremost consideration above fancy knives " FILSON-Might as well have the best."

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (07/05/02 05:03 AM)

#7292 - 07/05/02 02:18 PM Re: Adventure Medical Kits "The Essentials"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forester --<br><br> One question, one suggestion:<br><br>1. Where'd you get the tube tent? I can't seem to find a link to buy one.<br><br>2. Re Maglite Solitaire. That was my standard pocket carry for years (my business sells 'em). However, check out the LED flashlight reviews. In similar size, the ARC uses a AAA battery, is even brighter, and gives you 4-5 hours good light. The CMG infinity uses one AA battery, is a little bulkier, but gets 40 or so hours out of a battery with less brightness.<br><br>I now have an ARC on my keychain for everyday use, when batteries are easy to come by. For outdoor/survival applications, I'd take the long-life CMG with a Photon II for short term bright requirements (removing a splinter at night, etc).<br><br> Both have LED "bulbs" that'l never wear out, which is what allows the extended battery life. The Mag Solitaire's nice, but I've retired mine and my wife's Solitaires in favor of LEDs.<br><br> For a serious upgrade (comparable in size to the Mag double AA, but three batteries instead of two, see the Lightwave 2000 with 4 LED's. It's spectacularly bright, and the perfect sort to keep in your glove compartment. Too bulky for everyday carry unless you wear it on a belt, but it's a great light.<br><br> -- Karl

#7293 - 07/05/02 08:51 PM Re: Adventure Medical Kits "The Essentials"
forester Offline
Journeyman

I purchased the Tacoma Mtn. Rescue "Storm Shelter" tube tent from REI. It weighs in at 5 ounces and is 80" X 96" in size (according to the label on the package). I haven't practiced setting one up yet but at around $4 each I think I will try one out this summer. I'm planning a weekend trip where I use my PSK only (although I'll backpack in and have all the usual comforts available to use if I turkey out).<br><br>I have a Photon 3 that I carried around on a keychain until the thing turned on somehow in my pocket and the battery burned out. I sure liked the light it put out but went with the Maglight Solitaire for PSK use to keep a similar problem from occurring. What are your thoughts on storing it with the battery in backwards to extend storage life? I don't know if that would have any noticeable difference. I'll definitely check out the other lights you mentioned - thanks for the info.

#7294 - 07/05/02 09:19 PM Re: Adventure Medical Kits "The Essentials"
forester Offline
Journeyman

I sometimes feel like a walking Filson ad when I'm at work. Nothing else is rugged enough to use everyday in the brush while working but I leave the tin coat and pants at home on the weekends. Stop by the Filson store the next time you're in Seattle - it borders on a religious experience.<br><br>The tube tent I carry is bright yellow in color. It should be plenty bright to see from the air (unless I set it up in a patch of hardwoods in the fall). I'm looking into sources for extra-large orange garbage bags - that sounds like a good idea also.<br><br>Kelty makes some guyline cord with reflective material woven into it. I've thought about getting some for my tent and other dedicated uses. It doesn't look as versatile as good old paracord and is pretty spendy (I think it is around $16 at REI for 25 feet).<br><br>I spend a lot of time in the Willipa basin in Southwest Washington. Not much trouble with slash burning here. With smoke management restrictions we usually pile the slash and burn the piles a few at a time (or not - they make great habitat for the critters to live in). Even with the mix of industrial forestland and state land it's remained fairly pristine (but don't tell anyone else - there aren't many people here either). The salmon stay fat and the oysters and clams are delicious. With annual rainfall amounts exceeding 110 inches in places, we don't usually notice El Nino much. I do need to add some sort of water purification to my PSK though. Thanks for the thought.<br><br>

#7295 - 07/05/02 10:19 PM Re: Adventure Medical Kits "The Essentials"
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One of our forum members runs BLUELINE OUTFITTERS back in Pennsylvania ( listed in the retail sources) Drop Barry a line. He stocks very heavy mil orange 55 gallon bags. Hes building a log home, so he may be a little slow getting back to you. Barry has located lots of the oddball stuff we use. I keep one inside my Filson gamepocket with my topos in side.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 729 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.