Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7205 - 06/30/02 06:06 PM engraveings
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got my self a leatherman PST. i'm very pleesed with it, I was thinking of geting it engraved with my name at a jewlers. it would help should a lose it some where, were people know who I am and people STEALING it of course. but I was wondering if it would efect the warenty that comes with all leatherman tools. has anyone else thought about haveing/had thier multi-tool engraved? and dos anyone know whether it will afect the warenty?<br>thanks,<br>-james

#7206 - 06/30/02 06:36 PM Re: engraveings
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

James,<br><br>I don't think that having your tool engraved would affect the warranty. IIRC, they offer engraving as an option. You can check Leatherman's website to confirm.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7207 - 07/01/02 09:39 AM Re: engraveings
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok thanks,<br>-james

#7208 - 07/01/02 12:53 PM Re: engraveings
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I had my tool engraved with Dremel machine... SImple inititials nothing fancy and it didn't void a warranty at all. Well I had a hard time exchanging it at the store when my screwdriver broke but manager very quickly came to his senses. I was told that you can do whatever you want to the tool as long as you don't interfere with main parts. So if you engrave the handle and tool snaps at the engraving than it's your fault but if your pliers breake than everything is fine. Too bad that my engraving didn't protect the tool from being stolen frown

#7209 - 07/01/02 05:15 PM Re: engraveings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thieves don't care if your name is on it, only "friends" do.

#7210 - 07/01/02 07:05 PM Re: engraveings
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought an engraver from the hardware store for about $15. I put my SSN number on items like stereo eqiupment, TVs, etc. That way if it is stolen and recovered or shows up in a pawn shop, then there is a traceable number. The cost of engraving is not much but it is nice to have the engraver around for about the same cost as the first engraving. <br><br>I also put a piece of reflective tape on all my equipment. It makes it easy to find if dropped. Just shine a flashlight around and out pops the reflective tape. I use orange both to make it easy to see and to identify it as mine. Of course someone can remove the tape. I buy my colored reflective tape from www. galls.com in 1 inch wide rolls. They have 8 colors in 4 widths and two lengths. <br><br>A buddy of mine also uses reflective tape on his equipment. He spends hugh amounts of time cutting out intricate patterns and applying to the equipment in artistic arrays. He uses a variety of colors and patterns. We have a friendly contest running about the use of reflective tape.<br><br>REI used to offer "engravnig" of knifes. It fact it was actually a mini router. They route out letters in the plastic handles of knifes and then filled by rubbing a crayon over the groove. The crayon filled the hole. You could choose the color of your choice as long as it was in their 64 crayola box. <br><br>I had my SAK knifes done this way. I usually don't lend equipment but in case in a point of weakness I lend my knife to a buddy, they will at least know who they borrowed it from.

#7211 - 07/01/02 07:59 PM Re: engraveings
Anonymous
Unregistered

"I put my SSN number on items like stereo eqiupment, TVs, etc. That way if it is stolen ...." they not only will have your equipment but your entire identity as well. How generous of you.<br><br>Think about it.

#7212 - 07/02/02 02:34 PM Re: engraveings
Anonymous
Unregistered

As much of my identiy as if they choose 9 randon numbers. <br><br>You could use your phone number or some other means of contacting you. I actually stopping engraving equipment years ago. I figure that is what insurance is for. If someone steals my TV and stereo, I will have a police report and just call the insurance company and get a check to buy all new equipment. Most of my stuff is at least 15 years old and could stand to be replaced anyway.

#7213 - 07/02/02 07:49 PM Re: engraveings
GettingThere Offline

Unfortunately, thieves who are smart enough to steal identities would not have a problem recognizing whether your "random" 9-digit number was a SSN. In fact, he could probably tell after the first 3...In any case, the fact that the same number would appear on different items would be a dead giveaway.<br><br>The best thing to do is simply keep a separate record of model and serial numbers, and leave it with copies of your other important documents at your safety deposit box, a relative's place, etc. -- any remote place that you trust. You could even leave a copy of your inventory with your insurance agent.

#7214 - 07/08/02 02:20 AM Re: engraveings
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Jumping in a bit late... just back from over a week in the Black Hills mountain biking and loafing around - I'll never get caught up on the forum! <grin><br><br>We had our Waves engraved at a Jewelers - $5 US each. Simply used first name MI Last name. Keeps them sorted out.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 437 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.