I would agree that I did not cover all the possible techniques for land SAR. Nor did I give a complete start to finish dissertation on land SAR. Entire books have been written on how to search, probabilities of detection, rate and direction of travel, common habits of subjects based on age and experience, etc.<br><br>I would suggest that those interested in more information about land SAR review a number of the books available on the subject. The National Association of Search And Rescue, NASAR, maintains a web site that lists a number of texts.<br><br>Once a subject is identified as missing, a data gathering process begins. This would include information like physical description, habits, clothing worn, experience operating in the terrain, prior survival training, hobbies like fishing, hiking, hunting, orienteering that might effect the subjects travel patterns, current relationship with family, pending events like divorce, job loss, extreme debt, medical problems, etc.<br><br>The Point Last Seen, PLS, is identified. That area should be closely examined for signs left the by the subject indicating direction of travel. Topographical maps of the area should be reviewed. The lay of the land will have natural boundaries that will effect the speed and probable direction of travel.<br><br>Dog teams and Mantrackers will hopefully find some sign at the PLS and begin tracking. Hasty teams will be sent ahead looking for clues. If no sign was found at the PLS, then dog teams and mantrackers will travel in a ever increasing circles from the PLS looking for sign.<br><br>Subjects and their circumstances will effect the search. Some subjects are lost and want to be found. Other subjects are not lost, they are running away and do not want to be found. Some subjects will aid searchers, others will hide. <br><br>We searched for a boy age 3-5 who had been taught not to talk or interact with strangers. The SAR teams were strangers and he actively hid from them. We searched for an elderly man who walked away from a nursing home towards the "family farm". His family never had a farm but in his altered mental state, he struck out towards a non-existent destination. We searched for a mother who was afraid of the dark with her son who required regular doses of medication. The son's mental state was deteriorating and he was relying on a mother who was making irrational decisions because of her fear.<br><br>Political decisions are often made that effect the search. An elderly woman was discovered missing from a nursing home. The nursing home would not allow searching within 100 yards of the building because it might upset the tenents. The woman was found two days later dead of hypothermina in a drainage ditch within 10 yards of the building.<br><br>Since this is the survival forum, instead of going into additional lengthy comments about SAR techniques, maybe we should direct the discussion back to the area of tools for staying found and increasing survivability while actively participating in helping SAR to locate you.<br><br><br><br><br>