I've followed up informally with many of the people. Though my intention was for this to be a poll, many perceived it to be a test and probably did tend to make themselves look a little better. Though many said they were actively working towards preparedness, most evidence was to the contrary.

The question about when folks fill their tank was missing an option--the quarter tank fillup. I think folks were hedging between "half tank" and "low gas light" and didn't want to look like chumps. But several admitted that "half tank" was overly optimistic.

There were some responses that didn't surprise and others that did. One guy is a responsible father of four but he "failed" almost every question. Yikes! To me, it's one thing if you're a young, single person who's only responsible for yourself but those with others in their care need to be a bit more on the ball.

Several of these folks are from my church and I have a blog that I've done preparedness posts on, primarily targeted at them and just "city folks" in general. One thing that seems to really hit home is when I say, "During a crisis, you are either going to be a blessing or a burden to those around you." That seems to really hit home and get them thinking beyond themselves.