I have had two recent injuries which Itreated with my personal FAK - one was a sprained ankle - the result of a leader fall, and the other was a broken (actually crushed)big toe - to be expected when your toe winds up beneath a cargo box while unloading cargo. In neither case did I use any pain killer - I was somewhat surprised at how little the broken toe hurt, as a matter of fact. In the climbing injury, a strong pain killer might well have impaired my ability to get off the climb and down to the ER - a good rigid splint gave me significant relief in that case.<br><br>I have seen a few cases with victims with FXs 24 to 48 hours old with no treatment, not even decent splinting, and in none of those situations was pain a concern.<br><br>Of course, pain does exist in many of these situations, but I would rather leave the strong stuff to a knowledgable medical team which can assume responsibility for care and transportation.<br><br>It would seem to me that a FAK should contain materials that reflect the training and medical knowledge of its owner - that means asprin, tops, for most of us.