Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#68918 - 01/20/07 02:04 AM Re: Survival scenario: Abandon Ship!
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
I'd definitely take a PLB on board since I've seen some reports regarding various cruise ships having an emergency where the crew/captain didn't call for help immediately upon discovering the emergency. One report was a substantial shipboard fire and another was a grounding incident. Captain and crew were visibly panicked and not in charge of the situation. In one of the examples, the crew would not let anyone near the communication devices. Scary! In a major emergency, I wouldn't want to wait and see if the captain was going to put off calling for help in order to try and handle things himself (to save the cruise line the negative media exposure or whatever). I'd be activating the beacon, and looking for a ship to shore SATphone to try and raise the USCG! I'd want the whole world to know about our problem.

#68919 - 01/21/07 10:00 PM Re: Survival scenario: Abandon Ship!
Coastie09 Offline
I didn't float test my chipping hammer, honest Chief!

Loc: Connecticut
I was digging around in our Commandant's Instruction Manual (guidance for everything Coast Guard) and found the Abandon Ship Procedures. Though they apply specifically to our methods and whatnot, I'm sure it's relevant to anyone forced into a mass abandonment of a large vessel due to some sort of at sea casualty - fire, flooding, collision, explosion...

RESCUE AND SURVIVAL SYSTEMS MANUAL
United States Coast Guard
COMDTINST M10470.10E
Appendix A - Abandon Ship Procedures

Introduction
This appendix presents procedures to successfully abandon ship safely. Cutter crewmembers shall become thoroughly familiar with the information presented and be mentally and physically prepared to abandon ship if required.

Exiting The Ship
If possible, personnel should get away from the ship in a lifeboat or life raft. Personnel should lower themselves into the water using a firmly attached line or hose. When a choice is available, personnel shall leave the ship from the windward side and from whichever end of the ship is lowest to the waterline.
NOTE For optimum survival, personnel leaving the ship shall be fully clothed.

Entering The Water
If it is necessary for personnel wearing a PFD to jump into the water, they must hold their legs together and keep their body erect. Personnel wearing a survival suit should cover their face with one hand, hold the crotch of the suit in place with the other and cross their legs when entering the water. Before lowering injured personnel into the water, always adjust the leg straps properly.

Jumping Into The Water
Securely fasten inherently buoyant PFDs and keep them close to the body by folding the arms across the chest and gripping the jacket with the fingers. This procedure prevents buoyant PFDs from riding up and striking the chin or neck when the wearer hits the water. If an inflatable PFD is being worn, do not inflate it until the wearer is in the water. Use the same procedure for jumping with an inflated PFD as with the inherently buoyant PFD.

Inflation
The wearer shall inflate the PFD as soon as they are in the water and clear of flames or debris.

Swim Away
When in the water, survivors shall swim away from the ship as rapidly as possible and, if available, climb into a lifeboat or liferaft.

Underwater Explosions
If underwater explosions occur in the vicinity, survivors shall swim or float on their backs, keeping their heads and chests as far out of the water as possible. Underwater explosions are particularly threatening to lungs, abdomen, sinuses, and eardrums.

Abandonment
When the ship is entirely surrounded by burning oil and abandonment is essential, personnel shall jump feet first through the flames and swim windward under the surface of the water for as long as possible. When air in the lungs is exhausted, the swimmers should spring above the water in a vertical position, push the flames away with a circular motion of the hands, quickly take a deep breath with their backs to the wind, submerge feet first in a vertical position, and swim under the surface again.

Minimize Buoyancy
Discard any buoyant articles of clothing or shoes. Whenever possible, personnel should wear only the inflatable PFD during this procedure for abandon ship, and should inflate the preserver only after the person is clear of the flames. Inherently buoyant PFDs will not permit the wearer to swim beneath the surface. Therefore, do not wear them before leaving a ship surrounded by flames.

#68920 - 01/22/07 10:51 PM Re: Survival scenario: Abandon Ship!
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
An Aspect of this all, would be Skills and Techniques for maneauvering yourself around, -in the rooms, halls, and decks, -of a *Listing* Ship! Perhaps in the Dark. Perhaps also at varying Degrees and Rates of *Changing* List. Which in itself can be anywhere from Slow to Sudden and Rapid! One can also add "Water Gushing Ins" and various Floodings, -into such Situations.

It would be Neat if there were Games and Simulators along these lines! A la Flight and other Vehicle Simulators. Perhaps there are, -but I considerably have my doubts. [color:"black"] [/color] [email]ScottRezaLogan[/email]

#68921 - 01/22/07 11:10 PM Re: Survival scenario: Abandon Ship!
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
I recall hearing of a case a number of years ago, -where a Stewardess in the Cockpit of a Trans-Atlantic Airliner, -just happened to glimpse thru the window at her side, -Smoke arising from a Distressed Ship, Mid-Atlantic, thru a tiny break in the overcast! She almost Missed it!

(Reminds me of an Aircraft flying transversely a few thousand feet below mine, ouside my window seat, as I was Flying north toward Cleveland. -I wish that was spelled with a "K"!. I almost Missed that personally Neat Sight too! The Slittest of Split Seconds more!, -and I *would* have so Missed it! Not ever even knowing that it was there! I caught it in the Last Split Smidgeon of a Second beforehand! Just Before Disappearing literally beneath me, somewhere! There's just something about that kind of Experience! as otherwise mundane as it is.).

From such, -Aid and Rescue was able to be set on its way.

But for her Chance Sighting from the base of the Stratosphere, -such a Lucky and Needed Break, -would *Not* have occurred!...

Location and Rescue may well have eventually occurred. OR a Sinking may have occurred first. Either way, the outcome would have been far more Serious and Different! [color:"black"] [/color] [email]ScottRezaLogan[/email]

#68922 - 01/24/07 09:08 PM Re: Survival scenario: Abandon Ship!
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
This is bad as if the emergancy did not require an abandon ship and you activated you PBLs and all or a sudden 100 CG cutters showed up. Or maybe you just accidently poped the PLB. This is why there is a captian and the anadotial stories are most likely myths.
cheers

#68923 - 01/24/07 09:25 PM Re: Survival scenario: Abandon Ship!
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
A myth?

"Robin Boltman has been a professional entertainer since 1984. He has worked on cruise liners that have taken him all over the world. From performances at the Super Bowl, Extravaganzas and numerous Corporate and product launches, his brand of English and Afrikaans Magic and Comedy has always been well received. From performing on cruises down the Nile, or with delegates from SFW in a Lear Jet, the exiting world of Magic has let work with some wonderful people. Ernie Els’s Golf Day at Fancort, The Million-Dollar Golf at Sun City and the Thunder in Africa with Lennox Lewis are just a few Magical memories.

In 1991 the Oceanos sank off the Wild Coast. Robin and a group of cruise staff and entertainers took over the rescue operations on board, when most of the officers and crew took to the lifeboats. Robin took over the abandoned bridge to maintain contact with the SADF, and not a single life was lost. The SA Magic Council struck a medal in his honour inscribed…”for bravery and outstanding service to magic” "

Sad to say, it does happen.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 610 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.