Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#68560 - 07/04/06 05:44 PM Spark-Lite Deterioration?
Dave568 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I've heard from a few sources that once you have used a Spark-Lite and the coating on the striker has been removed, it will begin to deteriorate. I have used my Spark-Lite from my PSK on a few occasions, but I have not touched it in several months. It has just been sitting in my PSK waiting for a time when I might need it. However, now I am a bit worried that when that time comes, the Spark-Lite will simply crumble when I try to use it. Should I get a new Spark-Lite and not use it until I really need it? Or will this one hold up fine?

#68561 - 07/04/06 08:46 PM Re: Spark-Lite Deterioration?
widget Offline
Addict

Get a Swedish Firesteel or equal. That way you can see what you have and you will have far more lights than the sparklite provides. The Sparklite is a great item but not as durable as a good Firesteel. I keep both at hand, lightweight and small items.

#68562 - 07/05/06 01:11 AM Re: Spark-Lite Deterioration?
Dave568 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Thanks for the reply. I've already got a couple firesteels and a blastmatch. I just ordered a smaller swedish firesteel scout version as well for in my PSK. Previously I had only the army version which was a bit too large to fit. I guess I will be replacing the sparklite with this.

Another great "feature" on the firesteel rods are that if they break, they are still useful. You can easily generate a nice shower of sparks even with a ferro rod that has snapped in half, which is not quite as possible if the flint on a sparklite falls off.

#68563 - 07/05/06 02:38 AM Re: Spark-Lite Deterioration?
widget Offline
Addict

I think the Sparklite is a great item, main feature is ablility to light with one hand. I keep one in the PSK along with my Scout Firesteel and a small butane lighter. Fire can be extremely important in a wilderness emergency situation, so I carry multiple options!
I have practiced the hand drill and bow drill methods also, but sure prefer not to have to resort to primitve methods. Cheers!

#68564 - 07/05/06 02:46 AM Re: Spark-Lite Deterioration?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It won't crumble. I've used one for three or four years now, and it still sparks just fine. It doesn't always spark on the first try, so it might be rubbing off oxidation, but it sparks on the second.

I have heard of cases were the flint did crumble, but in several of those cases the seal on either clorine or iodine tablets had broken. In the cases were it wasn't mentioned, it was mentioned that other items had failed, which makes me wonder if the same thing hadn't happened there. Chlorine and iodine will eat just about anything, so I'm more inclined to base it on very reactive compounds doing funny things to the flint, rather than any oxidation..

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#68565 - 07/05/06 01:02 PM Re: Spark-Lite Deterioration?
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I'm still using the spark lite I purchased at Lackland AFB during basic training back in 1993. Works as good now as it did back then. I'm very happy with it.

#68566 - 07/05/06 05:47 PM Re: Spark-Lite Deterioration?
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

FWIW, I have dozens of these fire starters, many nearly a decade old, all of which work just fine. When this subject first came up, I tested every one I had from over the years. I think most, if not all, of the problems have been the result of external events, corrosion induced by other chemical leaks, such as iodine, or long term wetness. Water will eventually corrode any of these ferroceium fire starters, so it's important to keep any of them dry or dry them out if they get wet. Anytime iodine gets loose in your kit, it's a mess.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#68567 - 07/05/06 08:39 PM Re: Spark-Lite Deterioration?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dave, thank you for the inquiry regarding the Spark-lite. I am the President of Four Seasons Survival and the producer of the item in question. There is no need to worry about a Spark-lite that does not operate as they have a life time guarantee. Every defective Spark-lite received by this company will be replaced by two new Spark-lites without cost to the consumer.. We would appreciate it if you would post this response on the forum. Thank you, Oak Norton

#68568 - 07/06/06 05:41 AM Re: Spark-Lite Deterioration?
MrBadger Offline
journeyman

Wow, I've been very impressed with the customer service I've been seeing lately. I had a Spark-Lite from a Ritter Survival Kit that was binding when I was playing around with it when I first bought it. I was trying to figure out who to talk to about replacement, but I tried it again and it's working fine now. I might have been putting too much presure on it, or maybe it's gotten into a groove and smoothed out a bit. But it's good to know that you stand by your product Oak. Thank you.

-Jeff

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 354 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.