Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#68343 - 06/30/06 01:44 PM Re: "Assisted release knives"
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
The AXIS lock mechanism on Benchmades is all I ever need. Just a flick of the wrist holding the spring down and its open. I open and close it using one hand just holding the mechanism's lever down and never moving my grip to close it. Just keep my fingers clear of the blade. Its great for me. There's so many models now that have the AXIS lock that there is no reason I can see to debate blade sizes, shapes, or metals used.

BTW, off topic a bit:: Boker Plus Reality-Based Blade Tactical Folder by Jim Wagner. Does anyone own one yet or want to own one, purely looking at it for a defensive weapon only? Would his training video and blade be good for a woman? I'm clueless on it.

#68344 - 06/30/06 01:50 PM Re: "Assisted release knives"
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
+1 on the Benchmade Axis comments, I agree 100%.

Don't know anything about the Boker, but as far as the video, I learned more in a single knife fighting/defense class than in all the reading and viewing I'd ever done. Maybe it's just me, but the hands on with real people and fake knives just made a lot of things click that hadn't before.

#68345 - 07/04/06 05:54 AM Re: "Assisted release knives"
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

I own the Kershaw (Ken Onion Design), love it. I use it on a daily basis and have never had it accidently open. I took out the lock mechanism, it was more hassle than it was worth, in my opinion.

Alan

#68346 - 07/04/06 12:43 PM Re: "Assisted release knives"
ADRENJUNKY Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I've carried an assisted for the last four years, Kershaw (Blur currently). Never had a problem with it opening without me doing so. Benchmade has come out with one now that I will be switching to. I like using them because they are easy to open, even with structural fire fighting gloves on.

Legally in Michigan they aren't illegal. If you don't give the cops a reason to search you...

#68347 - 07/05/06 06:20 AM Re: "Assisted release knives"
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I can open any of my Benchmade (non-assisted) knives in about 1/2 a second. It's just a matter of practice. For reliability: stick to the K.I.S.S. principal.

#68348 - 07/05/06 08:18 PM Re: "Assisted release knives"
NYC2SoCal Offline
dedicated member

I've also carried my Flash II as my EDC for the last 4 years or so. I've never had it open accidently in my pocket. Any sort of resistance will stop the opening of the knife.. It's not an automatic knife, it's an assisted opening one. I don't think most people would understand the assisted open until they actually own and carry one. I had my reservations before picking one up. I have many knives, Benchmade, cold steel, gerber, sog, etc.

I normally would try to keep it simple, but feel the Flash II is reliable enough to carry everyday. Most people don't realize that if the assisted function "breaks" you can still operate the knife like any lockback. I see very little "risk" in it. Not only that, the Flash II is "fairly" inexpensive compared to the Benchmades and such, that I would not have a problem losing it or having it confiscated by a LEO that is uncertain about the law.

#68349 - 07/05/06 08:29 PM Re: "Assisted release knives"
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I have always tended towards the don't get searched school of thought myself. The fact that I stick to legal carry is neither here nor there. This side of the pond, it's quite likely that you will be tried and quite possibly imprisoned on an offensive weapons charge anyway. The laws over here are very loosely worded as to what does or does not constitute an offensive weapon. And the defacto law places the burden of proof on the defendent.

#68350 - 07/06/06 02:02 AM Re: "Assisted release knives"
olddude Offline
journeyman

Loc: Lower Fla. Keys
I too EDC a Kershaw Blur and love it. The knife is light enough to ride on it's clip in my pocket very comfortably but still is robust enough for any task I have put to it. The pebbled grip is what sold me on the knife as I wanted something that could be safely handled wet. I have found this grip to be a double edged sword as I can work with the knife as I wanted but skin up my knuckles on said grip when reaching in my pocket. The torsion spring has held up well thus far(2 year) and I have never had an instance of the blade opening unexpectedly. Great Knife at a fair price.

"Tryin' to reason with hurricane season"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 230 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/13/24 04:31 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.