Yes the UK law is asinine - passing laws is easier than solving problems. And yes, I would prefer a lockblade - it's a safety device and I have a nice scar on my knuckle to show what happens when a slipjoint, er, slips.

But carrying a small non locking folder is usually reasonable, and why I carry an SAK - it is so familiar even those unused to knife carry know what it is, and aren't threatened. There are other knives (the Spyderco UK penknife for example) but while they are excellent, they will panic the uninitiated. A swiss army doesn't, so I feel comfortable using it at work without getting funny looks. And 99% of the time, it is all the knife I need.

When I transport other blades, I generally keep them sealed in an tough envelope and labelled clearly - I usually then bury them in the bottom of whatever bag I am carrying. Not keeping them available for quick access can't hurt if I run up against the law. British law has a fair degree of leeway, regarding whether minor cases are taken to court