IMHO, there are too many people out there, who think because they have a gun, and maybe even carry a gun, that they are prepared for a situation where they may need to defend themselves or a loved one in a real life threatening situation. Some of these folks are the same people who buy the latest-greatest handguns, super-illumination devices and maybe a laser.... Put your toys away; learn how to shoot, learn the situations when to shoot.

I believe without the proper training, most of these well intentioned individuals are more dangerous to themselves and innocent bystanders than to a threat. Those who own guns should be required to have extensive training. While learning about the possible need for a weapon is intimidating and may bring on paranoia....("...who's that guy in the quickstop counter, is he robbing the place or is that just Snickers bar he's pointing at the clerk....") it's all a part of the learning process.

Look at the odds of falling into such a situation, then decide if you want to learn the skills needed to handle a gun in a defensive situation. The chance of this happening to you is slim. Do you want to be prepared, just in case? Or do you want to play the odds. If you want to learn to be prepared, you'll also need to learn how to read situations that might warrant the use of a firearm. While you are learning this, learn all your state and local laws as well as real-world play acting of situations. What is right, what is not.... (If you offered play acting in a room with Prosecuting Attorneys, Police and lawyers.... I'll bet you would not get one definitive answer from anyone. There's too many variables.) You are preparing for an unknown situation.

What brought me to this mind-set? I wanted to get a business associated CCW, a carry permit. I was a proficient handgunner....I thought....wrong. There's a huge difference shooting at a still target, with lots of time to aim, then there is in a real defensive situation. I have been in training now, specific to defensive pistol use for a year and a half; and the more I get to know about the subjects, the more training I feel I need.

Going out and shooting twice or even three times weekly, will help ready a person, (to a point) with the initial skills needed. Start out slow; maybe with a .22, just to learn trigger-control, sight and target acquisition.
After a couple of months, start shooting center fire pistols. Again learning trigger control and sight acquisition. When you think your getting good, find a group that practices defensive pistol training..... keep going.....It's a whole new game. Getting tactical training through Associations like IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) is a must.

Keep in mind, if a situation arises where you may need a gun, you'd better know your equipment, be familiar with your decision-making process to make the right choice, and follow through in a stressful situation, all in a split second. Otherwise the outcome will not be good.

Sorry for the dissertation; for me, it's a very important subject, as it should be with every gun owner IMHO.