Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6763 - 06/05/02 07:47 PM Knife Care
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had tons of knives over the years, but up until recently I didn't have any that I particularly liked and wanted to keep in great shape. I've heard that you should coat a knife with oil, or lubricant, etc. periodically...to prevent rust. What exactly should I use? How often? And does it differ with the various metal types? <br><br>Also, what type of resonably priced sharpener do you all recommend? Anything in the $20-$40 range would be great. <br><br>Thanks!<br><br>-John McIntire

#6764 - 06/05/02 08:12 PM Re: Knife Care
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I am a Sentry Solutions convert. Both their Tuf-Cloth and Tuf-Glide are exeptional products and are exclusively recommended by many of the top makers. They are also good values because that one cloth and one tiny bottle will take care of dozens of knives and a safe full of guns for a long, long time.<br>As far as sharpeners, I do most of my sharpening with a DMT folding diamond hone, fine, and a small Gatco ceramic triangle. There are so many good sharpeners, I would not recommend these two exclusively, they just work for me and are small enough to carry with my stuff.

#6765 - 06/05/02 08:13 PM Re: Knife Care
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
I use mineral oil - the one you could get in tool stores. Nothing fancy, but does its job, even in the marine environment. However, I only use stainless steel knives - in good conditions, they don't rust even with no care.

#6766 - 06/05/02 11:05 PM Re: Knife Care
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have stainless blades so I don't usually coat them with oil so I'll leave that to others.<br><br>I highly recommend that you get a DMT diamond stone. You can decide whether you want one just for home or a smaller one you can take with you. I am constantly impressed by how quickly they restore an edge. 've found that the finest "grit" is enough to maintain a solid edge on my blades. But you may want to get a coarser "grit" as well for initial sharpening.<br><br>The big at home stones don't fit your budget, but the smaller ones would.<br><br>Be sure to really shop around on the internet. I found my for 1/2 what my local hardware store charges.

#6767 - 06/05/02 11:32 PM Re: Knife Care
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I coat my carbon steel knives with BreakFree CLP or RIG grease for long term storage. I use mineral oil on carbon steel knives that I know I will use for food preparation. My stainless knives are usually left uncoated or at most wiped with a silicon gun rag.<br><br>I have several knife sharpeners but find myself using the Spyderco Sharpmaker most of the time. Once I have established the kind of angle I want on a blade I find a few strokes on the Sharpmaker with 2 different grits of ceramic rods adequate to maintain and restore a good working edge. If I really have to do a lot of work on an edge I use either a Razors Edge system or a DMT clamp and rod guide type device. The Sharpmaker uses triangular ceramic rods so you can sharpen serrated edges.

#6768 - 06/06/02 12:31 AM Re: Knife Care
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
In addition to the good info above, I would not leave a carbon knife in a leather sheath. The acids, etc used in the tanning process can rust or stain the blade. Another good reason to get a Kydex sheath...

#6769 - 06/06/02 01:25 AM Re: Knife Care
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is more "user" care than knife. Buy two if you have found one you really like ( assuming you can afford it.) Usually when I find something I truly like it A. gets stolen or lost B. has just gone out of production.

#6770 - 06/06/02 01:33 AM Re: Knife Care
AndyO Offline

Judging by my signature line, how many of each do you think I buy?

#6771 - 06/06/02 01:35 AM Re: Knife Care
AndyO Offline

Oops! I don't have a signature line!<br>Anyway, my signature line would be:<br><br>Two is one, one is none, that is why I carry three.

#6772 - 06/06/02 02:05 AM Re: Knife Care
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
The overwhelming consensus at Bladeforums.com and Knifeforums.com recommends the Spyderco Sharpmaker 204. Diamond rods are now available for it for major reprofiling of blades. _________________________________________________ Proverbs 21:19

PROVERBS 21:19

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 494 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.