Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6751 - 06/05/02 05:48 PM Personal Survival Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does it make sense if a personal survival kit is housed in a cylindrical metal can that can float, be used as a cup and yet contain all the most simple, necessary and yet proven stuff for a potential survival situation? All Ive seen are those square or rectangular shaped PSKs!<br>If I were to make and sell the type of machetes that we used in our jungle survival and cross country jungle raids.... would it be easy to get into the US and what kind of " blade standards " are we talking about? Over here, our blades are made from the springs of cars and trucks that were involved in accidents and time and time again, it can cut through the tickest bamboos as well as hardwood, too. The trick is that one must constantly sharpened it and use it in the jungles!<br>Would appreciate your feedbacks on both these matters.

#6752 - 06/05/02 06:02 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I know I would be interested in a couple. I have a few small ones made in Thailand and love them. Pete

#6753 - 06/05/02 06:51 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

B.C.B. make's a cylindrical survival kit ( Com-pac emergency pack ) with floats and withs has contains a "cup".

#6754 - 06/05/02 07:06 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
I think that a cylindical container that could be used as a cup would be to large for a PSK - try putting a cup into a pocket.

#6755 - 06/05/02 08:20 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Many advocate the one pound coffee can survival kit. You can fit a whole lotta stuff in a coffee can in terms of survival basics and the can itself is very cheap, nests a Nalgene 1L water bottle, and is ideal for boiling water in 1L batches.

#6756 - 06/06/02 01:52 AM Re: Personal Survival Kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bandit, Interest in ethnic Southeast Asian knives is slowly growing among collectors and users. There is certainly nothing wrong with a auto leaf spring, thats what the finest Nepalese Kukuris are hammered from( Mercedes, Ill accept Rolls -Royce or toyota)! People DON'T WANT a perfect, machine made blade. There are no import restrictions to the USA. The wooden handles and sheaths tend to split often. This is a result in the radical change in humidity and temperatures. A friend brought back a 3' Garuda Bird from Bali. It sat in his bathtub in shallow water for a week "aclimating." Naturally you won't use any endangered or rare tree species, but identify the wood. A pamphlet giving the materials, describing your work in elephant rescue and conservation should accompany any blades. Your tubular container wouldn't happen to be bamboo? I once read a text on it's myriad uses and qualities, including scales as precise as a digital unit!

#6757 - 06/07/02 01:33 AM Re: Personal Survival Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey BanditLeader,<br><br>There are only a few people on this forum that I've run across that make use of a round survival tin instead of a square "Altoids" tin. I use a round Penaten Cream tin. Penaten Cream is used to help clear up diaper rashes on babies. I find it quite useful, still fits in my pockets, and you can drink with it, boil water in it (if I put all the contents in a baggie of course), etc. I haven't tried to see if it will float yet though. So far it holds just about everything that Doug has in his kit. <br><br>I do also carry a small Altoids tin as an EDC though while in an urban setting. Mostly basic first aid stuff and about $50 Canadian.<br><br>Ironbird

#6758 - 06/07/02 03:25 PM Re: PSK soap dish????
WOFT Offline

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
any1 thought/ used a waterproof soap dish. i havent, but the size seems right, maybe a tad bulky though.

#6759 - 06/07/02 03:49 PM Re: PSK soap dish????
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well i used to use a soap dish as a PSK ( a quite large one )and my experians with it says that it is a quite bulky ( to bulky for me ) especially wenn you have wrapped paracord around it. But if want a lot of gear in your PSK it would be a fine container to store it.

#6760 - 06/07/02 06:18 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I like any kind of blade, and still have a South American 12" machette that I got in Panama in the 60's. Count me in for a blade. But I gotta tell you, I don't like the jungle...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 208 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.