I suppose a PLB is a stupid idea?!? Survival means using every tool at your disposal. I agree that people should not depend (or be taught to depend) on a cell phone and should develop core skills. Maybe we should stop carrying lighters, matches, and ferrocerium rods. Nothing but a shoe string (and that's cheatin') to make a fire bow because a lighter might not work every time. Don't rely on any one tool, but don't pass up one either if it is available and easy to carry.

Development and teaching of core skills is crucial, but omitting a modern tool is careless when talking about a bunch of Cub Scouts. These are Cubs, and as with animal cubs need to be taught and protected by their sires and elders. If they were in a rough spot I would much rather they have a working cell phone than not; if the cell phone didn't work, I would want them to have as much knowledge as possible to survive on their own. When dealing with kids, especially someone else's, bringing them home is the main goal. When they are older scouts they can go out and put themselves to the test, after they have developed enough proven skills. I would make a rule, though, that any scout using their phone to receive calls or chat would not be allowed on the next outing.

I carry a phone all the time now when I hike, turned off in a waterproof bag. It never gets used but it is there with my other survival gear, most of which has never been used in an emergency either.