By "CD" I'm assuming that you probably mean "DVD". I mean, there's actually a format called Video CD (VCD) but that's quite rare in the US. Anyways...

If you don't have much to convert to DVD, it seems that most photo processing stores offer the service. I've never actually tried it, so I can't comment on the quality. I wouldn't be surprised if it varies between stores (and they probably send it out somewhere else). Anyways, once your footage is on DVD, it should be a simple matter to just copy the file(s) to your computer's hard drive.

If you have a lot of tapes and feel like tackling it yourself, I just happened to see this set of instructions on C/Net. If you do it yourself, remember that when it comes to burning your own stuff to DVD, there are different DVD formats out there and not all of them play on a regular DVD player.

As far as slides go, some of the higher quality flatbed computer scanners come with a transparency carrier that allows you to digitize them in batches. Alternatively, you can check these same photo processing places for transparency conversion, too. That's a little more rare it seems, or at least less well advertised, than video tape conversion. I love the detail and richness of transparencies, though. Stored properly, they should last forever, particularly Kodachrome. Good luck!